Silent prayers

by JustTickledPink 11 Replies latest jw friends

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I always had a difficult time with the whole silent prayers issue.

I was always told since I was little that if you prayed to God that he always listens, and that you can pray silently in your head to yourself and he listens. To me that never quite made sense that he was reading my thoughts, are you sure he hears prayers? The answer, "if he created your brain, he can surely access it and any prayers" of course that was also used "if you are thinking bad thoughts God can read your mind" etc... and quote the scripture that even if you "lust after a woman" meaning no action, only thought - you were in big trouble!

But my logical reasoning mind never seemed to be able to make sense of the fact that God would be sitting up there and reading minds all day long and reading millions and billions of minds too. Then again, if you think about praying outloud, your audible voice is only heard by those in the room with you, sound doesn't seem to travel all that well, so is God actually hearing audible prayers? That didn't quite make sense either. Sound requires ears. I don't picture God with human ears.

So I after many years of thinking about it, I have decided that I believe we pray to ourselves. That it's a personal affirmation, a personal motivator, it's a tool that reinforces what I want and need in life and saying a silent prayer is actually talking to my own self. Once you pray, it's up to you to do the work. No one ever believes that God answers the prayers of those who sit idly by, no, everyone thinks you have to take an active part in getting your prayers answered.

If God or angels are listening I think maybe they help us with giving us positive energy to accomplish our own prayers and I still do pray in the hopes my guardian angel and my creator is listening, but if not, I do believe the act of praying always helps me personally.

What do you think?

• under74
    under74

While I don't believe it now, I didn't have such a hard time thinking god could hear a silent prayer...it kind of went along with the idea of an unseen creator for me. What I did have a hard time with was the fact that if god or his angels could read my mind they wouldn't just read the prayers...they'd hear/see all the bad thoughts too. That was a big issue for me as a kid. It made me kind of paranoid and I kind of disliked Jehovah and his angels because they could spy on me...

Just giving my opinion.

under74 (who gave up prayer)

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

...never really thought about it that way but, now that I have, I agree!

I can always count on getting something from your posts (yours and candidlynuts!)

Deb

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

I just noticed the link under your original post--you can search for new or "used" prayers on ebay?!?

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

How does it do that? It always has subject related links on the ads???

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

I once used the word "worrywart" in my subject line and it listed a bunch of herpes links!!

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

but back to your point--
    if silent prayer is a self-affirmation of what we want/need to do, then praying aloud is a way of motivating those around us and focusing them on our needs or at least on what we think is needed (not necessarily for us personally...) without actually "telling" them what to do. For example, if you are praying to find a new job...if you do it so others can hear, you are really hoping that one of them is going to find you a job...and then you can all thank God for working through them...hmmm

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hi Just Tickled:

I do believe God can hear silent prayers - Jesus could read thoughts (see Luke 7:36-40 where Jesus read a man's thoughts and answered them). I also believe that sometimes our prayers are a sort of meditation - a way to gather our thoughts and tap into that subconscious self that knows what the best course of action is.

• dh
    dh

i think prayer is a form of self induced mind control or self programming.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Since examining my beliefs along with the bible I see prayer as providing comfort for those who hear it and maybe those who say it even more. I personally don't think God is recording our prayers.

If God was to care as much as any parent then he would know what we need before we mention it verbally or even think it.

Do you anticipate your childs needs and wishes and provide accordingly or wait for them to ask or even suffer before acting...if there is a God could he be less compassionate than us?

Guess it's why I can't reconcile the bible and the world around me as being controlled by a loving God, time and unforseen occurrance befall us all, sometimes for the good and other times for the bad. It saddens me often to feel this way but breaking free from JW thinking has soured me on God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit