The generation that saw the generation of 1914!

by Gill 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

I have been today hotly debating with my JW parents about the 1914 'problem' and how the generation that saw the signs will soon be dead and gone and 'then what you gonna do!' said I all smug like.

I was then informed that 'the generation that will by no means pass away' now meant all of those that were born during the lifetime of those who saw the beginning of the signs in 1914!

That means that you could add another one hundred years to the life of the WTBTS because some of those very old people are still alive and children are still being born.

How long can this nonsense go on for!

Any one else heard this New BS?

• hubert
    hubert

They dropped the "generation of 1914" in 1995, and now are saying that a generation could be 100 or more years, if I'm not mistaken. Someone correct me on this, if I'm wrong.

take a look at a current Awake magazine, page 4, at the bottom ... (I don't have one handy).

Hubert

• 3rdEye
    3rdEye

I can hear the society's explanation already. "The light keeps getting brighter". Does this qualify as an "adjustment"?

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

That's like saying

The day before the day after tomorrow.

It makes no sense... the generation that saw the generation that saw the beginning of the last days shall no means pass away until all these things occur????

Remember, the Jesus own disciples thought it was coming in their lifetime.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

good job I am wearing my BSDs -- Bull Shit Deflectors

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Maybe it's a Methuselah generation ... giving them several hundred more years?

• TD
    TD

This is a little harder for Witnesses to explain away:

The Witness doctrine of the great crowd is inseparably tied to to a chronological understanding of the "generation."

Remember that in Witness theology, the great crowd come out of (survive) the great tribulation. Therefore you have to at least live to see the great tribulation to even be a prospective member of the great crowd.

Notice how clearly this idea has come through in the Witnesses own publications:

"Especially beginning in 1935, when the identity of the "great multitude," or "great crowd," was clearly understood, large numbers of these began to manifest themselves....God?s infallible Word depicts this group as ?coming out of the great tribulation,? being survivors of it, living right on into God?s New Order without ever having to die. (Revelation 7:9, 10, 14; John 11:26) The early members of this group are now in their 60?s or 70?s or older. Jehovah did not allow the ingathering of this group to begin too soon. The "great crowd," including many of the earliest members thereof, will survive into the "new earth." (Survival, 1984 p. 185)

The Witnesses regularly point to 1935 as a milestone in their history. Thousands of people stood up and Rutherford exclaimed, "Behold the great multitude."

However they are rapidly reaching the point where it will be apparent to even the most brain-dead that they identified this group "too early."

• vitty
    vitty

The generation has changed, from the generation of 1914 to , A generation who witnes all the signs.

Now the A is very important, cos that means it could be a generation in a hundred or a thousand years time. Although when they changed it they said it would still be sooooooooooon

Thats my understanding. Uptil last year that is. But ask any witness and they all give a different answer, they there confused too.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

They have done away with the Generation of 1914 but there is still a chronological tenet that is leading them into trouble ("New Light"):

*** w00 1/15 p. 13 "Keep on the Watch" ***

Sixth, the number of genuine anointed disciples of Christ is dwindling, though some will evidently still be on earth when the great tribulation begins. Most of the remnant are quite elderly, and over the years the number of those who are truly anointed has been getting smaller. Yet, referring to the great tribulation, Jesus stated: "Unless those days were cut short, no flesh would be saved; but on account of the chosen ones those days will be cut short." (Matthew 24:21, 22) Evidently, then, some of Christ?s "chosen ones" will still be on earth when the great tribulation begins.

They still preach that the gathering of the annointed has been ceased in 1935. But they accept that there are younger annointed. Stephen Lett of the Governing Body is born in 1949.

I think we live to see a re-definition of the annointed like we saw a re-defefinition of the Generation of 1914.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit