Advertise, Advertise, Advertise

by individuals wife 7 Replies latest jw friends

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

There is a possibility that during my time as a JW I had knocked on every door and rang every doorbell and met just about every person in my whole area, especially during my over zealous pioneer episodes. Now that I have left I have the dilemma of how to show everyone I'm normal again! It would be nice to walk down the street without sensing that everyone is trying not to meet your glance (mild paranoia!). I think that at times it is certainly a disadvantage to live in a smallish community where everyone knows your business and anonymity is virtually non-existant.

I'm just wondering how to make a statement to my small part of the world saying "I'M NORMAL AND NOT ONE OF THEM ANYMORE!" What do you reckon - small ad in the local paper
    or full page ad in the local paper
    or print a T-shirt with appropriate logo
    or print flyers to put through peoples letterboxes
    (perhaps with a copy of my DA letter!)
    or all of the above - go for it big time
    or none of the above - just get on with my life

What with JWs shunning me because I 'don't want to play with them anymore' and non-JWs shunning me because they think I am going to thrust a tract in their hand - the world could end up being a bit lonely. Still, I am trying to make a real effort to get out and get involved in new pursuits - I refuse to become a recluse. Hopefully I will end up with a whole new set of friends, genuine friends, friends that look far beyond your religion, friends that will STAY friends even if you don't happen to agree on certain things.

Have any of you had this particular problem - any suggestions on how I can assert my reclaimed identity and show everyone just WHO I AM and WHO I AM NOT! or should I just let things emerge over time?

• Moxy
    Moxy

couldnt you just get a tattoo or start spiking your hair or something sufficiently worldly so that people will know. youd probably be surprised how many conversations a wild do could help strike up!

mox

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

full page ad would really piss off the old cong. this could be bad if some still in the borg view you harmless and others might think youv'e just got something new to be over zealous about. like i say i like the ad(all of the above is even better) but i wouldn't have the guts to do it. if you do it and provide a good explanation it could also be a great witness against the WT but like i say i wouldn't have the balls for it.
    sawthelight

• voltaire
    voltaire

Follow the witnesses around yanking tracts out of the hands of those they've
    already talked to. Everyone will know where you stand.(They'll probably still
    avoid you though)

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have thought of that too. While I was a regular pioneer, in 1992, I think, a young Lutheran Youth Minister invited my partner and myself to his home many times, under the guise of being interested. He successfully made me start doubting. Of course I pushed it all under my conscious level, for another 3 years, but that young man had a big impact on me. He showed me many errors in WT publications, and misquotes, and lots of contradictions. He was sharp!!

Eventually we stopped going there, because we knew he was trying to trick us. I drive past that house several times a week, and wonder if he still lives there. I should go to his door and tell him he was successful in making me start to question.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

I did make the effort once to go up to a woman in the street who I had called on previously and did my best to apologise - it actually turned into a good opportunity to discuss some of the reasons why I left, I reckon she still thought I was a bit crazy though! I just wonder how long it would take for me to go around knocking on every door and ringing every doorbell again this time with a slightly different message and more apologies! I bet they would all be a bit more inclined to listen this time!

• Prisca
    Prisca

Hi individual's wife and welcome!

I'd suggest wearing a really short skirt (if you have the legs) or some style of clothing that a witness wouldn't be seen dead in.

I can understand the feeling of wanting to go back and "un-witness" to them. I sometimes feel like apologising to those I woke up on a frosty Saturday morning, those I interrupted with my "important" message, or those I insisted upon to read the mags. I don't regret sharing some of the Bible's scriptures - it felt good to be able to calm down someone who was angry at God and the world, or to engage in conversation with people who also had an interest in the Bible.

Maybe someone could come up with a "I Used to Be a Witness" type of spiel to say to people we used to witness to?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

It will be in the little things, volunteer to work a community blood drive; volunteer ANYWHERE, at the library, hospital, something. As you're there among people begin to talk about how nice it is to have the free time to volunteer now that you're no longer part of the "crazy JW cult". Run for a political office. (Do you still believe in God? Visit a few of the local churches, and again, mention you new found freedom.

Start reaching out to neighbors, co-workers, etc talking about your new found freedom. Begin to form a circle of friends. Buy a flag and stick it on your house. Get a Tee shirt with a flag on it. Decorate your house for Christmas.

I think you get the idea. It will take time. Hope all works out for you.

Yeru

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit