how long to baptism?

by lost truth? 15 Replies latest jw friends

• OUT and about
    OUT and about

Hey lost,

Ever hear the adage "If something seems to good to be true, it probably is?" Think about that, and how it has applied to your life in the past. All is not gold that glistens. I come from where you have in the sense that I was not brought up "in the truth." I began studying at around 19, and was baptised without any pressure (and to their credit without too much resistance) from family. I also joined a multi level marketing scheme once. I consider myself bright, inteligent, successful, and even (dare I say) accomplished. Yet I have been duped on occasion. As everyone here is expressing, the whole game changes once you make the commitment of baptism. I rushed into mine, and didn't answer the nagging doubts I had about 1914, and other doctrines because so many seemed logical to me. Leave no stone unturned. Don't commit unless you are 100% positive on every single doctrine and point. Along with this, study the Watchtower Societies past. How they have topsy-turveyd on so many key doctrines. Get a hold of one of their CD roms, and verify this from their own texts. Any protestant church will tell you that none can know the day or hour of christ's second coming (armageddeon). Yet the WTB&TS has made allusions to this happening on several occasions (1975 for example). If you ask about this at your hall, they will candy coat it like they did to me. Be smarter than I was, and look to their texts. You will be suprised, I assure you.

You are already showing how discerning you are by coming here, even though visiting this type of site (or any questioning of the FDS is vehimently condemed by the Society. I trust that you will make the right decision. Remember that with JW's, you are not simply adhering to beliefs about God and his plan. You are putting your faith in a group of fleshly men who are litterally seen as devine. An objective examination of their countless rewriting of their own doctrines leaves severe doubt as to any devine inspiration. And if that were to be true, then they are inspired by a very confused god indeed. A scary prospect regardless of how you view it.

Best wishes - Will

• Triple A
    Triple A

Welcome Lost,

Most here are ex-JWs, but some of us have never been. But I would suspect that those of us that were not have still been affected in some way by the WTS.

I have a suggestion for you when reading WTS literture. On a pad of paper draw three columns and at the top write these three headings. God Glorifying, WTS Glorifying, and Christendom Hate.

Under each column - put a check mark, page number, and/or paragraph number when you read something that falls in one of the categories.

God Glorifying - would be anything that talks only of God and what He does or cares about us. How he wants to have a personal relationship with you. Be careful, there are many statements that sound God Glorifying that the WTS uses to point to themselves. In which case your mark should go into the next column.

WTS/Faithful and Descrete Slave (FDS) Glorifying - would be anything that talks about how you have to belong to the organization, follow the FDS, that you can only come to God through the FDS, or anything else that they write about themselves.

Christendom Hate - IF you talk to your study leader about this site, you will most like get a reaction something like, "Why should I read that HATE lititure?" Check off how many anti-Christendom statements they make. You will also find that intermixed here is WTS Glorifying statements.

Sometimes you will find it hard to decide which column to mark, I would mark both and than draw a circle around them so that I know there was only one statement, but was tied to two marks. I beleive you will find that the WTS Glorifying column will out pace the other two. You will have to ask yourself this question, "Who do the Jehovah's Witnesses truely worship?"

As the others suggested, do your research when you read the Bible look for how God wants a personal relationship with you.

Best wishes in your search and again welcome, Triple A

• justhuman
    justhuman

Back off, from JW's it is the best to do...

• Triple A
    Triple A

Lost Truth,

What is going on with you. Are you researching like the Bereans or just listing to the GB message?

Triple A

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

All I have to say is RUN!

Brooke

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

Lost truth ,welcome.

Jehovahs witness peole on the most most part are not bad individuals,but it is very easy to get sucked into the way of thinking that the oirganization promotes.

Thier doctrines are no stupider than any other organized religion{fairy tales,rules ,guilt,donations,raiseing children,ect},but thier level of enforcement is much higher.Don't be suprised if they butt into your personal life,or make "suggestions" on what you should do ,say,even think.

i recomend following what you think is right,and do not get babtized,that changes everything,you will no longer answer to yourself,you will answer to WTBTS and thier power hungery elders and other henchmen.

good luck.STP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit