David and Bathsheba

by peggy 5 Replies latest jw friends

• peggy
    peggy

I have always been told this was a story of adultery. After my experience of exploitation in therapy, I began to look at it in another way. Exploitation: 2) the use or manipulaton of another person for one's own advantage.

2 Sam. 11:2-4 gives the account of David viewing Bathsheba, his inquiry of who this beautiful woman was and in verse 4, "David sent messengers that he might take her". Did she go willingly, was she forced to appear before King David? Verse 4 says that she sanctifyed herself from her uncleanness. I believe this to be a classic case of exploitation. A man of power, taking what he wanted. She payed a dear price in the murder of her husband, the loss of her first son. Later, when Solomon had been passed up for kingship, which had been promised by David. She went to him, and reminded him of this promise. David granted it. In his old age, he had all but forgotten her and this promise.

Adultery is a shameful experience in the truth. One for which I carry much shame. I gave my virgin body to my husband on my wedding night in 1976 at age 18. I never thought that I would find myself "giving" to another. My marriage difficulties and sexual lack of experience with others, was exploited in therapy. Non-the less, it was exploitation and NOT adultery.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Ethics is always dependent on a wider worldview.

The OT view of "adultery" is actually a combination of two types of thinking.

(1) In a civil perspective, the wife is the property of her husband (or "owner", as the NWT elegantly says): so adultery is thief, i.e. an offence by a man against another man. This is quite clear in Nathan's parable (chapter 12: David has taken what belongs to someone else) or in the 10th commandment (Exodus 20:17: "You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.")

(2) In a priestly or ritual perspective (e.g. Ezekiel 18:6), adultery is an "uncleanness" or defilement among many others (e.g. "approaching a woman during her menstrual period" in the very same verse), this time for both man and woman.

Since most of us do not share either of those perspectives, our modern ethical view of adultery is actually based on very different concepts of "love", "commitment" or "fidelity" which are hardly essential to the Biblical context. Bottom line: each one of us builds his/her own moral standards, and reference to "Bible authority" in this regard is pretty delusional imo.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have dealt with adultery and can tell you that it causes a lot of pain

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Sounds more like kidnapping and rape to me. The things these "Bible" men did just boggles the mind....

• one
    one

I found the batseba story really upsetting, but you see, that is why jw think that if the GB did something really wrong they are still the "choosen", Rutherford another example.

David made a few BIG mistakes and still considered the ONE

One big mistake was to keep "statistics", counting how many Jews (publishers) therewere

God did not like it and killed 70 thousand (in germany and malawi?) because of the counting.

BUT david recognized the mistake, (we are not inspiied and new light is coming) instead of firing (ray franz) the messenger who pointed the mistake. Actually David did something about it, building an altar (patterson and more quick build kh). That's what the bible says anyway.

1 Chronicles 21

11 So Gad went to David and said to him, "This is what the LORD says: 'Take your choice: 12 three years of famine, three months of being swept away [ a ] before your enemies, with their swords overtaking you, or three days of the sword of the LORD -days of plague in the land, with the angel of the LORD ravaging every part of Israel.' Now then, decide how I should answer the one who sent me."

13 David said to Gad, "I am in deep distress. Let me fall into the hands of the LORD , for his mercy is very great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men."

14 So the LORD sent a plague on Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell dead. 15 And God sent an angel to destroy Jerusalem. But as the angel was doing so, the LORD saw it and was grieved because of the calamity and said to the angel who was destroying the people, "Enough! Withdraw your hand." The angel of the LORD was then standing at the threshing floor of Araunah [

b ] the Jebusite.
  • avishai
    avishai
    My marriage difficulties and sexual lack of experience with others, was exploited in therapy. Non-the less, it was exploitation and NOT adultery

What happened? Perhaps you can help others avoid this by telling the story in another thread. If you are comfortable, that is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit