Am I doing what's needed??

by Dawn 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Brummie
    Brummie

What a nice thread though! The responses are great.

As an ex-JW it can be difficult to make sense of the world. At one time, we had all the answers, life was simple. We may even have brought some good into people's lives. Now we have to figure it out on our own, which I believe is the purpose of every individual on Earth.

Well said Prosperous, welcome aboard.

• little1
    little1

I've never been a JW, but yesterday I was driving my daughter around to use the gift cards she had received for Christmas and was thinking along the same lines. I feel so badly for those suffering so much and here I am driving a nice car through the McDonald's drive through. We often take the good things we have for granted, but I believe God also honors our gratitude for the good that we do have, and he looks at our hearts and knows that we are happy to give what and when we can.

Besides, if you give everything away, then you become a charity case that others need to support! The thing I don't understand is how those with enormous amounts of money can spend it so carelessly. I don't believe I could ever bring myself to spend $475 for a pair of shoes!!! But that's just me....

• gr8peace
    gr8peace

Just reading this post shows the witnesses lost, either by you all walking away or being thrown away, the best part of what they were supposed to stand for. Helping one person at a time ....one day at a time....

Dyan

• happyout
    happyout

Dawn,

This is really weird, just last night I asked my husband if he felt guilty because of the things we have that others don't have. He didn't really get it, he says we work, it's not like anything is given to us. But, I look at people who are hungry, poor, and struggling, and I wonder why. It's not like those people are lazy, sometimes it's as random as where they were born that seems to predetermine their lot in life. I, too give to charity, and I just told my 4 year old son that next year we are going to a mission to help feed people who don't have enough food, and take toys to their children. He didn't fully understand, but he did offer to give the toys he doesn't play with anymore, so I think it's a good start. I just want to make sure that I don't slip into the "take everyting for granted" mode that seems to come so easily to the middle class.

I don't know if we feel this way as a remnant of our JW upbringing, but I do know I would rather care enough to question it than not.

You're obviously a caring person, as long as you don't let your concern and caring overshadow your good fortune, you'll be fine.

Happyout

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i never feel guilty for having it good... 'cause when i was a child i lived in poverty and among abuse, and was homeless for a time, living in the family car for a few days (an old Rambler station wagon) or in shelters, enduring all the discomforts, inconveniences and humiliations that entails... i give $, toys & food to social agencies often, and to organizations like the world wildlife fund...i seem to care most about children and animals because they don't have a voice. sometimes though, in my travels, i'll run into someone down on their luck and give them money and don't ask them any questions. the look in their eyes is enough...it makes you happy and sad at the same time. so i guess my comment is live each day and respond to what your heart tells you... that's what i do. and don't feel bad for having a nice life... i'm sure you worked really hard to get there.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

After I left the Witnesses, I felt really out of it, so I started reading the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) with the kids about once a week. And I had a Revelation (no pun intended -- well not MUCH of a pun). When Jesus was wandering around, he did good things for people AS HE ENCOUNTERED THEM.

So that's what I've tried to do: if I know of a need and I can help, I do so. I bought breakfast for a homeless person a couple of times, because I was at the donut shop and so was he; I was at Tom Thumb, and there was a Starbucks inside, and she was outside huddled against the cold.

That's my little bit of help. But if I help them, maybe they'll be able to help themselves. Or someone else will see and be moved to help someone. And, as that old 1970's Breck commercial said: and so on, and so on, and so on.

That's how you make a difference: one person at a time. And that's enough. We can't change the world, and we're not meant to. But we CAN change our corner of it as best we can.

You're good enough, hon, don't worry!

Love & hugs,

Nina

• Robdar
    Robdar

You are doing all that you can, Sweet One. Go a little easier on yourself. At least you are doing something. That's more than many others are doing.

Hugs,

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit