Donating money to relief funds

by DevonMcBride 4 Replies latest jw friends

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

There are so many very good organizations accepting money for tsunami victims. World Vision is a well-known organization that has been around for many years helping less fortunate people abroad. But I won't be donating to them. Why? Because they discriminate against non-Christians in their hiring.

Here is an example. I went to their web site and looked at their employment link for a position as a "health and nutrition manager." This is not a ministerial position but a healthcare position. So why is it one must agree with World Vision?s Christian ethos and participate in devotions to volunteer in healthcare? Here is the link:

https://wvioaptus.wvi.org/webjobs.nsf/WebPublished/613C7A5C4C063B4A88256E5C0044FC68?OpenDocument

I copied below their job description for the position named above:

To oversee the health and nutrition programs design, redesign, evaluation, and implementation; government official coordination; and nutritional and health surveillance .

Medical degree, Nursing degree and/or Masters of Public Health. 3-5 years large scale health care program management and nutrition experience. Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills. Strong capacity building and facilitation skills. Excellent English and fluency in Portuguese preferred. Excellent communication skills (oral and written). Ability to travel (30%). Knowledge of MS Office, Lotus Notes and statistical program (EPInfo). Good understanding of World Vision and Sphere relief standards. Knowledge of and adherence to the Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduct. Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity and physical stamina. Ability to work in and contribute to team building environment. Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources. Commitment to World Vision Core Values and Mission Statement. Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context. Agreement with World Vision?s Christian ethos and participation in devotions.

So, if you have one or more of the above degrees required, have an impressive background in this field but you are buddhist, they will not hire you. That is clearly religious discrimination.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Apparantly where they hire allows that.

Am I saying it is the right thing to do? No, but if it isn't illegal where they hire, they certainly have a right too.

Concerning where to give relief funds, my major concern would be the highest percentage of the funds being made available to those that need it in a hurry. I would also be more concerned that they discriminate against those they are supposed to help.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride
    Apparantly where they hire allows that.

All applications are submitted to an office in California. It's not legal there.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Really? I couldn't see that on the site...all I saw was northern african ( if I remember correctly).

No it isn't, but if they are legally going to be employed by a company that operates in another country and is working in another country they can get away with it. Again, not something I support, but that's how they can get away with it.

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Do ya think the politicians will give up any of their goodies for helping their fellow countrymen?

I'm all for helping when possible, if that's what one choices, but how many of the "elite" will, in reality, give up anything if it means they might go without their status quo...

My husband while still in the Navy was sent into diaster areas in this country...Hugo, and I forget the other; but , the businesses that did survive raised their products to an outragiously inflated price - for instance, on water alone. The most precious community at the time.

Or how about someone that goes around from donation site to donation site gathering all the "free" goodies they can and hoarding that,while you might be going without....that lady was busted big time, thankfully.

I'm not heartless by any means, but how do the citizens of any country reach out for helping their own - while accepting so much from other countries?

granny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit