how many people make a "comeback"

by stopthepain 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

I personally am ashamed of my so-called comeback.

Hers the story.Brainwashed from infancy on,got out at age 16-17-really started hating the religion.Tried lots of drugs,sex ,selling drugs ,fighting,partying,gambling-soup to nuts.At a fragile and emotional point in my life,I looked back to the religion{for all those sappy and emotional reasons-EX-my life has no meaning,I dont like the way my life is}I had a short lived comeback,and fell into all the traps of believimg a cult again.Thinking i needed "structure"in my life.My mom kept sayimg how I would find a nice sister,blah blah blah...

After 5-6 months of going to meetings I* stopped,I realized most of the people there{especial;ly young ones raised in the troof}were living lies,and acting very immature.that was 3 years ago.I havent been to the KH since and never plan on going back.

I guess im embarrssed about this and feel stupid about my "comeback".wondering if this is natural to have a comeback considering my circumstances,or if anyone has done this?

PLEASE FORGIVE ME...........IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

What is wrong with going back to make sure? especially if your life was trauma at the time. you went back, you made sure, now you see clearly .. That is fine. Some of us had to wait until we had wasted far more years before seeing clearly.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    I guess im embarrssed about this and feel stupid about my "comeback".wondering if this is natural to have a comeback considering my circumstances,or if anyone has done this?

i had no desire to go back, but i certainly don't think you should feel bad or embarrassed for going back. you wanted to be sure. i mean, if you hadn't gone, you'd always wonder...

two years ago i reunited with my sister, who's in... i hadn't seen her for years. and i was so happy to see her and have her in my life that i let her persuade me to attend a meeting. but 10 minutes into it, it felt alien to me. so i endured the whole thing and never went back. now she won't talk to me again. ce'st la vie...

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Just try not 'to throw the baby out with the bath water' this time around.

Many go off the deep end when leaving the WTBTS, and then have to come back because they've made such a horrible mess out of themselves. It's just not necessary.

DY

• logansrun
    logansrun

It seems to me that developing a profound and pragmatic philosophy of life is essential if one wants to thrive after leaving the WT. Of course, it's true for every human being alive as well.

Short-range hedonism just doesn't work. Try a more enlightened long-range hedonism.

B.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

I now take a more existential viewpoint in my life.I have calmed down quite a bit-kind of like slow and steady phjilosophy

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    PLEASE FORGIVE ME...........

You haven't sinned against US. Try apologizing to and forgiving yourself.

There is still room for belief beyond the cult...

CZAR

• lawrence
    lawrence

I made a few "comeback" attempts. Horible experiences in Massachusetts and in Florida twice. Each "comeback" got worse, though the elders loved to hear the exact nature of my debilitated life each time. They wanted more and more details, the last time after a month of attending meetings the J.C. met with me and I told them fables that were majestic, they wanted more dirt, so I gave them horrific stories and in the middle of one "sex story" I walked out. That was the last "comeback." Hell, that was years before these boards. There was no one to talk with, aside from Ray Franz and a few others, that would take calls. Some of us couldn't believe that the whole WTS was a fable, a very bad one at that. Hang in there, you're cool.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

STP -

No pain - no gain! I think leaving the damaging lifestyle behind is the thing to do, though. The drugs will kill you - my brother died just over a year back at just 46. He had been a witness for 10 years, but the effect of drugs had ruined his health and he just died. The 'truth' was good for him in the sense that he turned around the bad things. But we all pay for what we did or do. I hope you stay away from the drugs. If the religion of Jehovah's witnesses is not for you - then it is good to leave that in the mirror too.

I wish you well.

Just My Opinion

Jeff

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

STP - Welcome! I'm glad you're here. Don't apologize, except to yourself. Maybe it was just what you needed to move forward with your life. Sounds like it was a blessing, to me.

After my divorce in '82, I realized that my alcoholism was getting the best of me, so I stopped drinking. I hooked up with an old friend in the troof, and started sorta studying with her, and occasionally going to meetings.

Then she and her husband had a party. About 40 people gathered at their home for food and rum punch (she very politely had some non-alki beverages for me) and Kingdom Songs and games. I swear the only thing missing in the mid-December party was the Christmas Tree! Everyone got smashed, then she fired up the coffee pots and sent everyone home wide-awake drunk.

My eyes were opened to the hypocrisy of both the non-Chrismas party and the drinking and driving drunk. I never contacted her again, when she called I told her I didn't want anything more to do with the witnesses.

I didn't get clean and sober finally until 1990. But I am now and eternally grateful.

Hugs

Brenda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit