The Book of Revelation

by under74 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• under74
    under74

Okay, if anyone's seen my last post I'm doing a research paper on Adventist groups. Right now I'm reading Revelation since it's a big thing amongst Adventists. My own conclusion is that Revelation had to do with the time it was written in. What I'd like is to hear you guys and your opinions.

Where does Revelation stem from? What is the meaning, if any? Why do Adventist groups and many other churches use Revelation as a big part of their teachings? Why do you think so many in America believe in the "end times" according to Revelation?

• Been there
    Been there

There was a good show on the history channel a couple days ago talking about Revelations and Armageddon.

I fell asleep before seeing it all tho. They were saying it was letters written in code to the christians in Rome. It was against the law what he was saying and had to be hidden. The guy that wrote it (John? Peter? Paul?) was imprisoned and knew that the early christians would know what the symbols ment, he was talking about the Roman Government and the things that were taking place at that time. Wish I would have stayed awake.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I used to think -as a witness- I could answer that question. But now I am not sure.

I do think that the great symbolic language has been used to strike fear and control into those adherants to various fundamental sects - including Adventist - thru the centuries. Jw's certainly used it that way. They used it also to assert themselves as the truth - if u read the "Revelation" Book, it is amazing how many places they insert modern watchtower history (or revisionist history) in there as fullfillment of prophecy.

I do think it is prophetic in some way. I maintain confidence in the Bible, although I know that some lose that confidence after leaving organized religion including the WTS. It could well be that most of it applied to Imperial Rome? Rome still maintained enormous grip on Christians at the time of it's writing - and they did many beastly things to those people who professed Christ - and in the last chapter John cries out "come Lord Jesus". Could it just be a deep seated wish on the part of Christians to escape the terror of persecutions, and (whether inspired or not) an effort on John's part to assure fellow believers that a time of relief would come to them soon?

Just My Opinion

Jeff

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Under74

My first exposure to the insight that Revelation was dealing alot with Imperial Rome was from the catholic bible we used in highschool. It had footnotes to many of the verses which made it all seem so obvious I felt like an idiot. If you do a google search with the terms "preterist" and "Revelation" you'll get alot of what you're looking for.

I think it was written as an assurance to the Christians back then who were being severely persecuted. Since people basically haven't changed, many today who for whatever reason feel that things are terribly twisted, want that assurance that it will all be made "right" in the end...preferably in their lifetime.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Under74,

I feel you are on the right track.

You will find a number of links to interesting introductions on http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/revelation.html

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Written when Rome held sway but still strong Greek influence. The temple (which to Jews was a bit like the Kabala balck stone to Muslims in Mecca) had been destroyed, Jeruslam totally sacke and destroyed -so Revealtion full of symbolic language such as "New Jerusalem, Jerusalem above etc" - so an old mans yearning for happier times

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

Hi Under74,

I have no opinions on Revelation, except that the seven congregations obviously show that most of the Christian congregations/churches were, and still are, plagued by false teachings and false brothers/prophets. I've heard of the preterist position but not sure if that has all the answers.

Thanks for starting up this topic.

Sabrina

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

under 74, the book was originally a Jewish apocalyptic work in the style of Ezekiel and Daniel that was later interpolated by a Christian. Some have suggested that the same man, (John the Presbyter) did the revision when he converted to Christianity, tho this is uncertain.

check out this article: Jewish Origin.

The link to the article is failing, but go to the site and use the search box :revelation book of

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Now the link doesn't function at all. the article is at this site:JewishEncyclopedia.com

• FairMind
    FairMind

I think much of the book of Revelation deals with the future. It speaks of death and hades (grave) being cast into the lake of fire (done away with) and this has not yet occurred. Again, my opinion.

FM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit