Why does God let bad things happen?

by FMZ 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FMZ
    FMZ

lol, thanks Sixy... I guess...

Fleur... the movie reference was that, in the movie, Bruce got handed the job of God for a week, and decided to give everyone what they wanted, which led to absolute disaster.

Again, my view of God though, isn't really so much an intelligence that physically created the earth. He didn't make the tectonic plates, he didn't make magma... it all just happened. And why did he allow it to happen? Because in the long run, it really can't hurt us. "Fear not those who kill the body".

I hope I don't come across as some death-loving, sadistic freak. I feel sadness and depression at the state of the world and the tragedies that happen, but I can just appreciate that there is something more. This will only hurt for a second.......

FMZ

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If everyone would just let go of the idea of a god that is watching over them the world will make much more sense to them.

No, there is not a warm and fuzzy god who loves you... there is only you and the laws of physics.

There is no good and there is no evil. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". What you think is good is to someone else the purest of evil, what you think is the purest of evil is the greatest thing in the world to someone else.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

To have true free choice, evil must exist.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    To have true free choice, evil must exist.

No, for there to be free choice there must be randomness, otherwise everything could be calculated and therefore preordained.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Elsewhere... I agree that God doesn't necessarily watch over us. Again, if he did, then my cousin wouldn't have been in that car wreck, or my grandma wouldn't have gotten cancer.

But there is always love... Everyone likes to love and be loved, it is a universal fact.

FMZ

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    But there is always love... Everyone likes to love and be loved, it is a universal fact.

"Love" is an instinct programmed into us by evolution. Snakes do not experience love, bacteria do not experience love, and neither do rocks. e "feel" "love" because we were programmed to... we can't help it. We could have just as easily been programmed to enjoy being slapped in the back of the head.

Love is just a side effect of our being social animals.

• FMZ
    FMZ

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, mate.

FMZ

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

God doesn't "allow" bad things to happen. He causes them.

Isa 45:7

forming the light and creating darkness; making peace and creating evil. I Jehovah do all these things .

D Dog

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    the first Matrix was a utopian paradise, but "entire crops
    were lost" because people wouldn't accept the programming.

life is dynamic, there is no good nor evil to reality until the living compare reailty to their own fantasy ideals and goals.

which is the point of the tree of knowledge.... earth was paradise prior to eating of the tree [making up fantasy ideals].

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    All in all, is death really so bad?

When I was a Dub, all I could think of was how miserable this life was and how much I wanted to make it alive thru Ahmagonnagetit and into the Paradise.........now, I am no longer afraid of death. I know that it is part of the natural cycle of all things material. I don't expect to be a material being and live forever anymore. That said, I also know that when I shuffle off this mortal coil, the part of me that is aware will continue on.........I don't think that ever dies...........I don't believe in a "Christian" heaven. In fact, the belief system that seems to resonate the most with me is pantheism. I am in awe of the material universe, it is exquisitely beautiful, and in the act of appreciation of it, I experience a "spirituality". Do I believe in a personal God? Not totally sure on that one. I know for darn sure that I detest the God of the Bible, though. Part of me thinks that I and all of us are just a part of a larger whole and that we come from that larger whole and experience life on Earth for a time, then return back to the whole. I'm still kickin' it around tho......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit