More On The Jah-Jireh Homes For Elderly JW's:

by Englishman 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Why are you not surprising me, Vitvin?

Something doesn't ring right though.

When my husbands relatives were looking for a home for an elderly relative they believed that these homes are run entirely by the society and that application to go into one was through the society. I have also heard my own relatives talk about the homes and believe they belonged to the WTBTS.

Low pay is not surprising as that exists in all care homes. Emotional blackmail by a JW boss is also to be expected.

Glad to hear the elderly are looked after well though.

• vitty
    vitty

Gill

I will check with my family member, but I know 2years ago she was adament it was a private business ,in fact this is the point, he cashes in on people thinking its society endorsed. He might insist on some kind of verifcation that the intakes are baptized witness, but its definatly profit making.

I must emphasize the old people are VERY well looked after. They do get visited by the authorities aswell.

My beef is with the staff, usually pioneers or uneducated sisters who need extra money. These are places they dont get criticized for working at

I`ll p.m you

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

I had no idea that these homes existed - interesting web site.

Notice the re-emphasis on contributions though. What intrigues me is the impact of any potential religious discrimination laws on their recruitment policies. They will have to provide a very strongly justified case to avoid this, they will no doubt use the Genuine Occupational Requirement route.

They will also have to comply with all aspects of employment legislation regardless of their charitable status, so they must pay the minimum wage.

FF

• Gill
    Gill

Vitvin, thanks.

There are two things that are ringing bells with me.

The first, I've just read through the Jah-Jireh news letters and theres a section talking about a welsh male voice choir that was raising money for a Jah-Jireh home in South Wales. Well I remember such a concert that brothers were going to from our congregation and surrounding area. They had to pay to go but believed that they were contributing to the Society's old folks home not Brother Delaneys old folks homes. This guy is onto a winner here. He doesn't have to pay for things for his old folks out of his profits like other businesses he has his JW friends believing that they are supporting the Society's homes.

The second thing that also rang alarm bells with me is that he's asking for all brothers and sisters, in his news letters, to contribute 50p to help keep his old folk... and support those on the waiting list. This sounds odd to me. Another point made in the news letter was that the money give was 'at the present time all donations received will go directly to caring for our elderly ones in the homes.' Why only at the present time?

• core
    core

...someone at the branch did supply this organsiation with the addresses of POs in the relevant areas - I still get letters to cong addressed via me asking for "good standing workers " (slave labour) and "donations" - a long way from seats free and no collections. As a charity - Trustees cannot be paid under UK law - expenses maybe but no wages - so is "owner" a trustee or conveniently a (well) paid employee? The 50p voluntary donation is a disgraceful example of emotional blackmail of the worst kind possible - seem to remember the name Siddeley in association with this organisation ?? In UK care homes are very tightly regulated and controlled / checked but the financial "surplus" showed in the accounts here is beyond the imagination of any care home organisation

• Gill
    Gill

Absolutely, Core. There's something rather fishy going on there. The owner must be aware that brothers are donating under false pretenses, believing that this is a WTBTS home. I Know for a fact that this is what JWs believe.

Again, not for one minute do I believe the oldies are mistreated but just the brothers donating to whose pocket.

• Englishman
    Englishman

I love this bit where one can become an "Associate".

Seems to me that they're looking just for fund-raisers!

What is a Jah-Jireh Associate?

A Jah-Jireh Associate is a person who is a lover of God, a dedicated baptised witness of Jehovah, in good standing in the congregation, and who has a sincere concern for elderly faithful ones in need of care in their old age or because of incapacity or infirmity, as in the case of younger ones.

Additionally, a Jah-Jireh Associate is a person who is willing to promote and support the objectives of the Jah-Jireh Charity.

What do they need to do?

Simply this – On a personal basis, pass on information when Jah-Jireh is in need of staff, etc. Help and encourage others in neighbouring congregations to become Jah-Jireh Associates. Of course, no one must be embarrassed or put under pressure.

Where and when individuals express a desire to contribute financially, to pass them a donation form. If you require further information, please contact us.

• wednesday
    wednesday

JWS CANNOT usuaully work together without a dust up of some sort happening eventually. They will try and defraud each other, overwork , underpay, gossip, etc. Here in the states there is a lot regulation of nursing homes and treatment of the elderly and disabled. I'd like to see them open ones of these places here and make it work. It won't. The government is very strict and allegations of abuse are looked into. it has not always been that way, yrs ago the elderly were often abused. Frequently the staff are the very uneducated and often those just out of prision. I do not believe they can get away with only hiring JWS over here.

The whole situation is an accident looking for a place to happen. it reminds me of the psychiatric treatment center that jws tried to operate her in dallas in the 90's. They did not own it, but tried to have great influence in it. eventually the staff were struck by the complaints of the patients of abuse from elders. it just did not work.In the end the WTS said they had no involvent init and it faded away and elders who were involved in it moved.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Ewart Chitty ex GB was a resident in the Leyland Preston Lancashire Jah Jireh nursing home for a while - he died in the home a few years ago

• Gill
    Gill

I think it would be interesting to compare the finances and profits of the Jah-Jireh homes and perhaps Bupa care homes. Only thing is I have no idea how to go about doing that. Any ideas?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit