Pet experiences

by missy04 10 Replies latest jw friends

• missy04
    missy04

Who here thinks that pets can feel alot of human emotions? I know they can.

I had the cutest thing happen with my Beagle dog Dixie last night. I sat down next to her to give her a kiss before I went to sleep and when my face got about a foot from her head, she went "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" My dad and I thought it was so funny that she was growling at me for even being close to her that I put my face down by her head again and when it got about a foot away, she softly growled again.. I repeated it again..and she howled really loud and acted like she was gonna get me lol. (she has never bit anyone ever, just acted like it when she gets really annoyed.)

Well it startled the crap out of me and I went to go to sleep. About 10 seconds later she got off her little bed, even though she has bad hips, and came and snuggled up to me. She felt bad and was apologizing. It was soooo sweet

I totally know that animals can feel all sorts of feelings, just like humans, and that they are capable of loving.

Any experiences from you guys?

Didn't the org. say that animals weren't actually capable of loving or something? (not sure)

~Sarah and Dixie (my baby puppy girl)

• orbison11
    orbison11

yes i agree
    i have a just 4 month old puppy, she is just like that

w

• OUT and about
    OUT and about

I don't think anyone who has lived with a dog could refute the fact that they feel human emotions. It is especially evident when you have more than one, as they will react to situations differently. I've always despised the Societies view that loving your pet is idolatry, or whatever their cockamaimie reasoning. There are very few people in my life that I care about like I care for my pets. And I take no shame in that. I have to wrap this reply up now, as my doggies want to play. Thanks for the observation. Beagles are special (although mine tended to follow his nose more than my commands!).

Will

• Swan
    Swan

On the farm where I grew up I was always amazed at animals. Without being asked or trained, our cat would often leave presents at our front door. Our goats would grieve when other goats were sold. They would form likes and dislikes. Our dogs were very capable of guilt, shame, affection, remorse. My pet poodle was just as excited as a kid opening presents at Christmas, and later wanted to cuddle in gratitude. It can be argued that lions bring meat back from the hunt to share with their pride. It can be argued that goats have herding instincts that simulate grief. It can be argue that dogs just want to please their masters because they see a family as a pack, and see us as the "alpha dogs" of their pack. But I really believe there is far more to it than that.

The Watchtower Society has always stressed that animals are created differently than humankind. "Man" was created superior to beasts. They claim that "man" (notice how they always leave out "woman" in referring to humans) alone has emotions, and that God created animals without feelings, subjective to "man," only to provide pleasure to "man." Any "emotions" your family pet may exhibit are just an illusion, animals only have instinct and were not given the ability to reason. They are incapable of feeling they same way the "human heart" feels. They express behaviors which we interpret as feelings because they so closely mimic emotions.

I remember strongly disagreeing with this viewpoint. Having grown up on a farm, I could observe that behaviors are learned and often motivated by reward, but many animals also have strong emotions, that are different than just behaviors, and motivate behaviors just as effectively as reward. Watching and observing these creatures makes it very apparent that behaviors are one thing and emotions are another.

I suspect that somewhere the Society made this distinction, and it served them to draw a sharp line between man and beasts to counter the effects of Darwin's theory of evolution. They liked to point out that "man" alone was capable of reasoning. They pointed out that humans alone spoke a language. We alone can comprehend the nature of God. I suspect that this idea was the pet idea of someone at the Society just as some of their other kooky ideas, such as aluminum being the Devil's metal, vaccinations being a way to transfer personality, the Pleiades being the actual place in the Heavens where God resides, and the dimensions of the Great Pyramid of Giza can be used to calculate Armaggedon.

In other words, it's just more Watchtower BS!

Tammy

• jwbot
    jwbot

It is so obvious to me that my dog shows emotion. She will get noticably depressed too, she can get very emotional. If Mike and I are raising our voices to each other, she will get depressed and hunker down low and get out of our way. We will have to coax her out from under the table to cuddle with us so we can apologize to her. She will also apologize if she did something wrong-and not because we discipline her (because we do not, physically) but because she really cares. She is so awesome.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy
    Who here thinks that pets can feel alot of human emotions?

I like to look at it in the way that humans can feel a lot of our animal companions emotions. Dogs are known for their loyalty, and unconditional love, and if more humans were to copy this example, I think the world would be a much better place to live in.

I have my little girl Chelsea pegged as to what she is feeling, and likewise she knows how I am feeling at any given time. We can just look into each other's eyes at times to see what each other is thinking or feeling. I can just look at her and be able to tell if she is up to something sneaky, and when she is, I just have to look at her and her attitude changes, because she knows that she has been caught, without me even saying a word, and then she will wag her tail, and try to act all innocent.

Also, when she doesn't get her way, she lets out a big Sigh, and walks away to pout, until a few minutes passes when she has decided it is time to forgive Dad for her not getting her way, then it is all lovey dovey again.

She experiences sadness, joyfulness, manipulativeness, and a plethora of other emotions. Dogs are truly smart, and I came to realize long ago that they are not our pets, but rather we are their' pets.

Spoiled rotten Mutt she is, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

The gulf between us, the separation of what we see out there, and what we accept as ourselves, is make-believe.

The consciousness that looks out your eyes and which looks out an animals eyes, is the exact same. Indeed there is difference in the physical layer and in emotions, thought and instinct; but deeper than this, more fundamental and significant than this, we are One. No one and no thing is excluded.

In open silence and presence this can be felt; with friend or foe, with animals and pets, with a plant or a tree; with the entirety.

Be still and know...

j

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Pets, actually, most domestic animals are incredible. I've known cows with different personalities. Horses, etc.

I have had a dog who have turned me into a dog lover. I have cats and always felt them superior . The addage goes, if you want a child, get a dog, if you want a companion, get a cat. Anyway.

We have one incredible cat (as if they all aren't). His name is Max and he is a 17lb Manx. Hi has diabetes. When he was first diagnosed, and I was giving him shots, he'd run off at shot time. The he realized that I was gonna get him anyway, so, since I shot him in the shoulder area, one day he decided to not allow me access to his shoulders and rolled over showing his belly. Well, I grabbed the loose skin on his thigh and shot him there. Meowow rowow wow! Snort! and he walked away pissed because I got the better of him.

This christmas we took him down to "grammas" house where we go every christmas. We went down Friday morning. He settled in just fine, as he's been there before. Saturday about 10:30 he disappeared! Would not come to call. I looked everywhere, under all beds and furniture. He's done this before. We even drove down the 1/2 mile driveway and back looking and calling! The rest of the family arrived 1 hour after he disappeared. Well, I found him under our bed, where I had looked 3 times already. Somehow, he had sensed the anticipation in us, or the change that someone was coming and didn't want to deal with it. Just amazing.

Hug you pets!

Brenda

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

PS I have a cat that can growl in multiple sylables, and purr at the same time! Very tallented.

• missy04
    missy04
    Beagles are special (although mine tended to follow his nose more than my commands!).

Will

LOL!!! Dixie does that too. We let her outside to go to the bathroom and when it's time to come in and we're standing there freezing our butts off waiting for her, she peeks out from wherever she is and I say "I can see you!" She never wants to come in so until I go and SHOW her that I know exactly where she is, she hides thinking I can't see her, and I swear she has a grin on her face. I would let her run free more except considering she is a Beagle..and they tend to run away. We have alot of coyotes here.

she's my baby puppy girl!!!

How old is your beagle doggie?

Pets are awesome!!

~Sarah

PS I have to run out the door so haven't been able to read the rest of the posts. Will when I get home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit