How many were religious????????

by vitty 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• vitty
    vitty

I know you cant know whats in someones head or mind, but in a average congregation of about a 80 to 100 people how many would you say were religious!

I can say in mine there was about 6 that I would say were genuine people. The rest I felt believed in the "truth" I did, but they were either scared of armageddon or peer pressureot to save face

Even when you were on field service, you didnt talk about the love of God but rather selfish things, how to make sure you survive armageddon, how to get inthe new system, how everyone else wont and how sorry they will be and we can turn round and say "yeah we were right all along so there"

So how many can you count up and this doesnt include the really "nice" ones

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

This will not help with your question, but I often wondered about that too when I was a JW. Many times I felt like sharing about the things I loved in the Bible, or even the WT literature (especially in the late 70's there were many "spiritual" articles, now I know why) and there was hardly any response. When I eventually got some response I was quickly labeled an "apostate"...

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

Personally, I think that all active JWs are "religious." They religiously follow the Society's directives in hopes that this will lead them to Paradise, and they also follow these orders for fear of angering a tyrannical God if they don't. I think it's the spiritual ones -- those who are motivated by love and the desire to become better, more Christlike people -- that aren't quite so easy to find.

I think that a lot of JWs (my now-former self included) do start off spiritual, though. Then, as time goes on, the spirit often becomes overburdened to the point of suffocation under all those threats and rules. It's difficult to be spiritual once you spirit has been crushed. Once that's gone, all you have left is religion.

~Rochelle.

• phil78
    phil78

On a personal level, I am finding myself more interested in spritual subjects than when I was an active JW. Its hard to explain, but I think i was so concerned with the trivial things that are taught to be so important in "the truth" - pre-study, answering up, witnessing hours, preparing talks etc... that I left behind what was important, my personal relationship with god.

I now see that most in the hall are so caught up in these matters that this becomes their form of worship. These ones would ask "havent seen you at the hall for a while," and any answer would sufice. Going to the hall 3 times a week was their way of showing their faith.

I dont know how many were truely whole-heartedly religious. Mabey none. Mabey the more zealous ones were just playing the game better than everyone else. How is it possible to overlook all the policy changes and just accept them. To be told "this is the year", and then to be told "we never said last year was "the year" ".

• vitty
    vitty

I agree, I felt more spirtual before I came in the truth,but felt I had no outlet, after trying to follow all the rules and regulations, that was soon sucked right out of me, and I didnt even notice it till it was too late

Now I just feel numb and dont know what I believe or feel !

• Golf
    Golf

Vitt, I was never the religious type. Spiritual, yes! I've seen too much hypocrisy. My father-in-law was not a Christian, he was a spiritual person. he practiced 'natural' affection, he was an outgoing and a caring person. I was lucky to have a father-in-law like him.

Religious life is an 'unnatural' lifestyle.

Guest77

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Vittvin

not sure about how many were 'religious' in my hall - I think it was less than half, prob

They were 'ritual' - they did all the touchtone rituals - that defined religiosity I think - meetings, service, conventions, and an eagerness to learn 'new ight' - always waiting for new light or a some news event that signalled the 'start of tthe end' - In service many were materialist - thinking and dreaming of 'that house will be mine after Armeggedon -

religious - very few I suppose - most never read the Bible or studied - they just underlined

Just My Opinion

Jeff

• FairMind
    FairMind

Prior to becoming one of Jehovah?s Witnesses I was not religious. In fact I saw too much hypocrisy on organized religion to want any part of it. I was though a spiritual person.

In the congregations of JWs that I have been in I have seen all kinds of people. Some were truly spiritual as are some churchgoers. Also some were religious (especially the ones who had been Catholics) and some were not. One of the most spiritual and religious men I have known was my ex-father in law who was a Baptist Deacon.

FM

• Gordy
    Gordy
    This will not help with your question, but I often wondered about that too when I was a JW. Many times I felt like sharing about the things I loved in the Bible, or even the WT literature (especially in the late 70's there were many "spiritual" articles, now I know why) and there was hardly any response. When I eventually got some response I was quickly labeled an "apostate"

Narkissos I agree with what you say. I found the same attitude. I wanted to talk about the Bible and discuss WT literature, not to question or anything like that. . Even when we had brothers/sisters around for a meal, even Elders. Trying to get them to talk about their "faith" and WT teachings was nigh on impossible. But now I understand why. They were afraid to in case they said the wrong thing and it could be thought of as "questioning the organisation" or an "apostate". Now as a Christian I can talk with my now brothers/sisters about anything. Pooling our views and beliefs, discussing, sometimes for hours. No one is going to condemn me because I take a different stance to them, or has done. No one runs to the Pastor to report anyone. It has been though such discussions that I have learnt what it means to be a Christian. It has been one of the joys of becoming a Christian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit