Songs that remember when

by TweetieBird 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JanH
    JanH

Just a general comment here to your musical taste, guys: Yuck! Ok, don't be too offended

Ahem, off the top of my head, in my mood right now, and I restrict myself to only one per band + runner-ups:

Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody (Runner-ups: Hammer to Fall, We Will Rock You, A Kind of Magic, eh, way too many to list)
    David Bowie: Heroes (Runner-ups: Space Oddity, Ashes to Ashes)
    Yello: Goldrush (runner-ups: Heavy Whispers)
    Eurythmics: Who's that Girl (runner-up: Sweet Dreams, Stewart's Lilly Was Here)
    Billy Idol: Mony Mony (runner-up: White Wedding)
    Bob Dylan: Subterrenean Homesick Blues (runner-ups: Lovesick, too many to list)
    Jimi Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower (runner-up: Purple Haze)
    Madonna: Like a Prayer (runner-up: Vogue)
    Michael Jackson: Give in to Me (runner-up: Billie Jean. He should do rock full time, not cheesy pop & disco)
    U2: Pride (runner-ups: Gloria, lots, e.g. their 'live' version of Helter Skelter is awesome)
    Meat Loaf: Paradise By the Dashboard Light (in fact, the whole Bat Out of Hell album is a classic)
    Depeche Mode: Personal Jesus (runner-up: Barrell of a Gun)
    Bruce Springsteen: No Surrender (runner-up: The Promised Land, really all from Darkness on the Edge of Town and lots more)
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood: Relax (runner-up: Power of Love, their version of Born to Run)
    Tom Waits: The Rain Dogs album (con't really pick one)
    Guns & Roses: Welcome to the Jungle (runner-up: November Rain, version of Knocking on Heaven's Door is awesome)
    AC/DC: Highway to Hell (Runner-ups: Anything from Back in Black)
    The Beatles: Back in the USSR (Runner-ups: Helter Skelter, Sgt. Pepper's, anything from Revolver, lots)
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: Into My Arms (Runner-ups: Henry Lee, The Weeping Song)
    Leonard Cohen: The Tower of Song (runner-ups: ouch. lots!)

Damn, lots more. Gotta stop somewhere.

Song I Shouldn't Like But Keeps Coming Back To: To All the Girls I've Loved Before, performed by Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias. A bad taste feast that is ultimately fun. Are they ironic? I don't know.

A special mention for pathetic crap and a fantastic lack of anything resembling musical talent:

Anything by the crap German 80s band Modern Talking. Stuff from the Swede Max Martin's hit factory, nowhere produced and performed worse than what N'Sync's accomplishes. Most stuff on the hit lists these days, or any days.

Dishonorable mention for critic overhype: Destiny's Child. Ok, they look f...ing awesome. The music isn't all utter crap. Is that enough to be hailed as a r&b revolution?

General dishonerable mention: The Music Industry, for almost succeeding in destroying popular music. May you choke & die on MP3!

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

lol...The Dread Pirate Reagan..."can't afford to make acceptions, once word leaks out that a pirate's gone soft, people begin to disobey you then it's nothing but work work work all the time." "You mock my pain!" "Life is pain highness...anyone who tells you different is selling something."

Now see what you've gone and done? You've thrown me into a Princess Bride quotathon. Damn it.

Slayer

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

Black Sabbath- Paranoid-Ferrys Wear Boots-Iron Man

Blue Oyster Cult- Dont Fear The Reaper-Godzilla

AC/DC- In The Beginning-Night Prowler-Hells Bells

Heart- Baracooda

Deep Purple- Smoke on the Water

CCR- All There Stuff

• LDH
    LDH

Actually, in reading these posts, there isn't anything listed I don't love!

You guys rock!

• riz
    riz

Slayer,

Carlton. ROTFLMAO! Oh man, I about peed my pants when I read that.

When I think of Carlton, I think of him dancing and swinging his arms to Tom Jones' "It's Not Unusual."

HAHAHAHAHAHA. That was a riot.

I love music. There's way too many songs/bands that are important to me, so I won't even start listing them. Maybe when I have time to narrow some of my choices into a list that isn't four miles long I will post....

riz

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

"Inconceivable!"

"You keep using that word. I do nott-a think itt-a means what you think itt-a means..."

+++++++++++++++++
    "Stop it now, I mean it!"

"...anybody wanna peanut?"

I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul.

• Okidok
    Okidok

Hi all. many fine songs here;
    Here is my top 10 votes:
    The Bacon Brothers ( The day I woke up dead )
    The Pizza family ( I should have puked)
    Nora Broksdead (Joddling i fjelheimen)
    Hermelin Gates (No mony in my wallet)
    Greenface goat (I love you because I am blind )
    The soup girls undercover (My mommy know best, I love my feet)
    Blues dude ( My head is above my shoulders)
    Blondie gal ( I was a virgin )

What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet.
    Woody Allen

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

great thread!

i wish i had the time to list all the songs that have had an impact on my life, but there are just way too many of them. music has always been such an important part of my life. as a little girl, i loved dancing around the living room when my dad would play his records. my favorite song was "shake your money maker" but i can't remember who it was by...also, my dad would invite all his buddies over to drink and jam often. that was such a blast, live music right in my living room! lol, i thought it was soooo coool...

then we got MTV! WOOHOOO, i was in heaven. lolol, i was a "latchkey" kid so after school my brothers and i would watch MTV until 5pm and my parents would get home. i fell in love with madonna, loved her attitude! and i remember the first time i saw the video for "walk this way" with aerosmith and run dmc, i was like "WOW! this is sooo cool!!!" billy idol, cyndi lauper, the metal bands..., the boy bands...(very sad but true, i was a fan of "the new kids on the block" puke!! hard for me to admit that....)

when i hit my teen years, music really started to mean something to me. i really got into classic rock and i guess what they call "alternative rock". i loved the beatles, the grateful dead, eric clapton, the who, the band, jimi hendrix, the doors, steve miller band, queen, pink floyd..all that great classic rock n roll about freedom of expression, trying new things, drugs, sex...(i know i'm forgetting a ton!) as for new music, i loved the cure, jane's addiction, the pixies, depeche mode, jesus and the mary chain, the B52's, the violent femmes, echo and the bunnymen, the smith's, husker du, the dead kennedys, nirvana, pearl jam, red hot chili peppers and i could go on and on...lol. i just loved the "teenage angst" expressed in a lot of this music. both the classic rockers and alternative rockers expressed so wonderfully my feelings at the time.

now when i hear certain songs,it brings me back, down memory lane. sometimes i get sad, especially when a song reminds me of a friend who no longer talks to me....or a sad time in my past. but music in general makes me smile laugh dance and sing

my taste in music hasn't changed much. i still listen to a lot of the artists i did as a teen and younger. i still love classic rock, still love madonna and most of the artists from my teenage years. new artists i love include but are not limited to: dido, eminem, phish, the big wu, leftover salmon, my brothers band (so sorry dave and al, can't remember the name!!) basically, i love a good groove and excellent lyrics. and i absolutely die for LIVE MUSIC.

so i guess what i'm saying, music is such an important part of my life, songs instantly can shoot me down memory lane and i think that is soooooo amazing. songs can make you laugh, cry, smile, shout for joy. long live music!! woohoooooo

love
    harmony, shaking her money maker

edited to add:
    how in the hell could i forget bob marley! my absolute favorite song of his is "redemption song" ohh, soo good. and peter tosh is great too. bet you can guess my favorite song of his??

"If God has spoken, why is the world not convinced?"
    ..........Percy Bysshe Shelley, English poet (1792-1822)

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I just thought of another great artist and I don't think anyone has mentioned him but he was really on top when I was a teenager.

Stevie Wonder-too many great songs to list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit