Why do you qoute dictionaries when making a point in a discussion?

by Pole 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pole
    Pole

Narkissos,

I think sometimes it is pretty helpful to say: in this discussion I will use this word with this acceptation (whether it is found in a dictionary or not). Defining your working concepts within a limited area.

That's what I mean by existing dictionary definitions being "a starting point" for further discussion.

I notice many people who do that also mix up etymology with semantics, or deny the fact polysemy, as if some supposed "original meaning" of a word could forbid or overrule the variety of its actual meanings.

I call it watchtower linguistics . Notice how often they focus on the "original" literal meanings of metaphorically used ancient words. To make things worse, they even separate out individual morphemes and basing on their etymology they draw suitable conclusions.

Examples of linguistic fallacies in WTS pubs:

***w96 6/15 p. 13 Blessings or Maledictions?There Is a Choice! ***The Hebrew word qela·lah´ is derived from the root verb qa·lal´, literally meaning ?be light. When used in a figurative sense, however, it means to ?call down evil upon? or to ?treat with contempt.??Leviticus 20:9; 2 Samuel 19:43

Notice how this etymological remark doesn't contribute to the point being made. It makes the derivation look more serious though.

w99 10/1 p. 26 Divine Riddles and God?s Purpose ***In fact, while the Hebrew word for riddle is used only 17 times in the Bible, the Scriptures are literally full of riddles and proverbs.

Another linguistic fallacy. Different books of the bible were written over a period of several hundred years. This is tantamount to saying that a reliable semantic conclusion can be drawn from the occurences of the English word "riddle "in English literature from the 10th up to the 21st centuries.

w91 12/1 p. 14 Breaking Free From False Religion ***

?Taken according to the way it is used, ?religion? in its simplest definition means a system of worship, a form of worship, without regard to whether it is true or false worship. This agrees with the meaning of the Hebrew word for it, ?a·boh·dáh, which literally means ?service?, regardless of to whom it is rendered.? Thereafter, the expressions ?false religion? and ?true religion? became common among Jehovah?s witnesses.??Page 225.

Yeah. JWs beliefs are substantiated by ancient Hebrew etymology.

----

PS.

Pole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit