12/18 Economist magazine: End of the world.. from Millerites to JW's

by coult9056 2 Replies latest jw friends

• coult9056
    coult9056

The 12/18/04 issue of the Economist magazine has a cover story titled "The End of the World: A brief history of an enduring belief." The article briefly discusses the history of apocalyptic beliefs from John Darby's concept of rapture, William Miller's failed prediction of Christ's return on October 22nd, 1844, to the Churchof Seventh-day Adventists.

Quote: They were not the only ones to rise above apparent setbacks to the prophesies by which they set such store: the Jehovah's Witnesses of the persistently apocalyptic Watchtower sect survived no few than nine disconfirmations every few years between 1874 and 1975."

I enjoy seeing well-respected magazines give clear information about JW history; even more clear and accurate than the Watchtower would like to admit.

Just thought everyone would like to see this one.

coult9056

p.s. I haven't posted in a long while, but I'll post soon about my experience applying for law school a few weeks ago (only about 13 years after quitting the pioneer work) . When I discussed the "obstacles overcome" with a member of the admissions committee, I whipped out a mint-condition "School and Jehovah's Witnesses" brochure. After that, we discussed the history of the Witness view of education (Don't be misled by the Devil's propaganda, etc.) All I can say is the conversation was great, the experience was fantastic, I can't wait to get in. BTW, since I technically "placed" the brochure with her, should I turn in a time slip this month?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

thank you that is cool. I'm gonna try to get a copy of that article.

Mrs Jones

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

That's a very upbuilding experience brother. In fact, I find it happifying. And, yes, you can definitely count a placement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit