The Awake magazine: In A Realm Beyond Dumb?

by metatron 23 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    What I find really annoying is the fact that they ALWAYS ask everything as a question.

Poztate - you are right about that. I don't know the official form of argumentation - but the posing of leading questions is an expert way to direct those who you want to go in only one line of thought. They have to do that or dubs might start drawing intelligent conclusions - we wouldn't want any one guilty 'freethink' would we?

Just My Opinion

Jeff

• drwtsn32
  • VM44
    VM44

Hi Quotes,

the lead article, "GRAVITATION AND ELECTRIC ENERGY"

Could I get a scan of the complete article from you? This is something in which I am particularly interested, and would like to comment on in detail.

Wasn't the year 1932 when Einstein published a Unified Field Theory, relating electricity and gravitation? That might be what "inspired" the Golden Age to publish an article on this topic, even though they didn't know anything at all about the subject!

--VM44

• drwtsn32
  • funkyderek
    funkyderek

MungoBaoBab:

Decent enough fluff article until the last paragraph.

That accurately describes most articles in Awake! When I was younger, I used to read the interesting articles on astronomy or exotic animals or whatever, and just skip the last mandatory "Jehovah" paragraph.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I have always been able to read pretty quickly so may be it is not much but I could always speed read a whole Awake in about 10 minutes. All prepared for magizine work then!

Eyeslice

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hey Dr. - thanks for posting those articles. It has been so many years since I read one - it was really a shock to me just how "dumbed down" those articles really are. I would guess it was written for a 6th to 7th grade reading level. No wonder I was SO BORED and had to force myself to study. At the time I blamed myself (bad attitude, bad heart condition, etc) - now I realize that it was just me being bored with reading nonsense.

• william wallace
    william wallace

Hi Metatron,

I'm an ex JW and left when I unravelled much of the WTBTS false doctrines. So, please understand that I'm no apologist for the Society. However, it seems to me (maybe I'm wrong) that you are of the opinion that the Society have got EVERYTHING wrong including their belief that God will ensure that the earth remains forever. It's like saying : one thing wrong, everything wrong. If someone applies that belief in all matters it means they end up disbelieving everything.

Much of what the Society says has proven to be wrong. But some of what they say also happens to be correct. And doesn't the Bible, in several places, say that the Earth will remain forever? Don't you think it's more advantageous to sift the truth from the errors rather than simply having a blanket belief that because they have some things wrong they have everything wrong? It's a bit like eating fish. You eat the flesh and spit out the bones.

• metatron
    metatron

The Awake magazine has some value for poor third world people - who are utterly desperate.

As for the earth, there appears to be NO text in the New World Translation that doesn't

have "time indefinite" stuck in it. If one of you Watchtower apologists think otherwise,

stand and deliver!

metatron

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I wonder how many tree`s are cut down on a yearly basis to print WB&TS crap.If they want to save the earth,they should quit killing mass amounts of trees to print crap...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit