For those of us with active JW parents

by JustTickledPink 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I'm lucky; my entire family are JW's, but "cold and callused" and "controlling" doesn't define their normal behaviour. They gave up the controlling after I got married essentially because they tried to get me not to be involved with a certain sister. Now I think perhaps the Rage against the Machine ethic of "Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me" needn't have involved a disastrous marriage. The bastards were right, is the worse thing.

Nowadays they are naturally 'normal' and act kindly. Well, the younger of my two older (Elder) brothers is an officious twerp, but my other brother is remarkably sane for a Dubbie. My parents are, for want of a better description, liberal Witnesses, although very well respected and known in their Cong, my father's been in since '47 and is a well known Elder, PO, and HLC member.

But there you have it. They are nice people, but step into an area of their life bisected by the twilight zone of their beliefs and it get freaky really quick. Educated and well-traveled one moment, arguing intently why babies should die rather than have a blood transfusion the next.

It's keeping the freaky 'next' bits as few and far between that works for me. As they are in their '80's I have no desire, assuming I could, to stage an attack on their beliefs. They have tried discussing things with me since I left. On those occasions I always make it clear I feel that I am restricted in what I feel I can say, that I know some of my opinions conflict with their beliefs, and I do not want to put them into a situation where they felt they had a conflict of conscience over whether they should be in contact with me (I just left, BTW, not df'd or da'd).

This does make them blink a bit, and then assure me of their love for me no matter what, and they've been true to that.

These are, for them intensely frustrating and unprofitable; smart and educated they might be, but they know shit about science. My twerp-brother, mentioned above, was constantly making these straw-man misrepresentations of what I was saying, which I always called him on. He just didn't get it (thought amusingly his wife agreed with me). Of course, using such a phrase as 'logical fallacy' got them all rolling their eyes and tilting their heads back like spooked horses. V. funny. They didn't like me citing the Boreans as a fine example of being careful about what they believed and researching to see if what they were told was true.

"Truth need not hide" is a rather hard concept to attack.

I think because of this they like to cultivate little conceits - like I am no longer a Dubbie because I am embarrassed about my divorce and don't feel I can return (Ha! Hahahahahahaha! Bwahahahahaha!), rather than me not being a Dubbie because (as my daughter succinctly put it) I think it is silly.

So religion doesn't come up. One can ignore the 1.7 comments per day that have a little spin or edge on them... most of the time. And my mum does keep asking me when I'll marry my girlfriend, but I'm not bothered by it. My dad tends to shut my mum up if she gets going. She's a smart women but when she gets emotional in a discussion becomes increasingly over-the-top and inevitably says something silly I react on.

I say I have four parents. Two lovely ones I love. And two mad cultists.

They behaved themselves perfectly when introduced to my girlfriend's parents recently. Religion was not discussed, a lovely meal was eaten, they were charming and entertaining. My gf's parents were a little non-plussed; they had been extensively briefed and were expecting, I think, a little more of the glittery-eyed-spittle-lipped routine. Hell, they even got my dad's war stories.

My mum even managed to write a very sweet, 99% cult-free thank-you letter, bless her.

The 1% was calling Christmas and Boxing Day 'Saturday' and 'Sunday', when saying they'd be having a meal on each day at one of my brother's houses. She was delighted as it was the first 'holiday period' she hadn't cooked in in 56 years!

Essentially, she's been preparing Christmas and Boxing Day meals just like everyone else, but avoids the word 'Christmas' like some people avoid the word 'cunt'.

My girlfriend and I found this v. funny.

They are in their 80's. I don't want to reduce their life to something meaningless, even if I could. My brothers get what they ask for, but once my parents die, they get the red pill/blue pill choice; let me say my mind or choose to not ask and not be told what I think (and to return the same).

My nephews get what they ask for too. They have, unlike me, family they can talk to if they are on the edge. But only one really is; I have a feeling once he qualifies and can move from home and support himself the reason why he still hasn't got round to being baptised yet will be seen.

He plays his cards very close to his chest though, goes to meeting, out in service, blah, blah-blah, blah. Invitations for the nephs to come and stay are smoothly deflected; they want to keep them out of my grips, me thinks.

My kids really have no belief in Dubbism left, even though their mum still gives lips-service to it, she's inactive. I see them regularly and each year the fear they might get sucked in recedes. The right things said at the right times help.

My daughter figured out why the Israelites clearing of the 'Promised Land', given the barbarism they did it with and the claims that the orders came from god, meant that either the orders didn't come from god, or that god isn't very nice in five minutes of structured questioning over a McDonald's at the age of twelve. No prompting, just questions. My younger daughter knew at 7; the 'because it's silly' was her way of phrasing why I didn't believe.

Have a hairy Christ's arse everyone!

• Badger
    Badger

My parents shun me even though they don't know I'm a full-fledged apostate.

• flower
    flower

I definately think my mother would be a much more loving and expressive person if she was not in the cult. Shes a good person and is held back from being herself because of her religion and controlling husband.

My father, I think would be very much the same person regardless of being a jw. I think he would still be a religious person and a controlling person and would probably be alone or several times divorced cause if a woman didnt have to put up with his crap I doubt anyone would.

• freedom96
    freedom96

There are so many different personalities, and thus so many are going to treat of all us differently.

My parents for example, when they were an elder and gung ho wife, originally shunned my sister when she got df'd. Doubts kept creeping in on my mom, and she did not shun for very long. They, now, are quite out.

My wifes parents, are an elder and pioneer wife. They don't shun us at all. That being said, rarely does religion come up in conversation. We just don't talk about it.

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

Ok. I've given this a lot of thought. First I'm going to say that my Dad is a JW. I am the one who brought him into the organization. He was just appointed an elder about 6 months ago. He is 81 years old. He is very active in service and gives talks etc. When I explained to him why I left, he promised me he would never shun me because he doesn't agree with it. The funny thing is, my "elder dad " is flying in to spend Christmas with me and my sister and our families. Of course, no one knows this and if they questioned him he would say he was just spending time with his family, however he asked me to get some presents for his great grandkids because he doesn't know what to get them. I can't figure this out, but I'm not complaining. When I was a witness, I played by the rules and looking back I was a "Good Witness" If my children had left I know I would never be able to shun them completely, but there would be a bit of coldness there because of the disappointment in them. I might add that I love my kids more than life itself. We are very close. You would hope that by shunning them, that their love for you would be a draw for them to come back and when your a witness that is all that you want. You believe that if they don't come back they are going to die if armageddon comes tomorrow. So really your parent is just trying to get you to come back, if they just treat you normally, what reason would you have to come back. They are also in fear for their own life because they believe if they don't do accordingly that they won't live through armageddon and that they are being disloyal to Jehovah. It is really crazy. My husbands mom and sister and most of his aunts, uncles and cousins are witnesses. His sister talks to me very little and his mom talks a bit to me at first when we left she told me that my daughters blood was on my hands (my daughter was 13 at the time) His other family members have nothing to do with us we are not invited to any family functions on his side of the family. I'm so glad my family except for my dad is not JW's. I feel so bad for those of you who have lost your parents because you left. It must be so difficult. It is probably heart wrenching for your parents because they feel they have to act the way they do and that they are doing the "right" thing by shunning you. Your parents are missing out on so much, by not having a relationship with their children.

• robxy
    robxy

I'm a 37 year old man raised "in the truth". I never knew the meaning of "unconditional love". I had herd the term and understood what it meant in theory, but never experienced it from my parents - both of whom are still active JW's, dad has been an elder for decades. It wasn't until finding my own path in life that I found a wonderful loving relationship which I can receive (and give) love unconditionally. I have a hard time understanding why worshippers of a "God of love" have such strict guidelines as to when and to what extent they will dole out love to their children.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    I have a hard time understanding why worshippers of a "God of love" have such strict guidelines as to when and to what extent they will dole out love to their children.

So true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit