Alcoholics and alcoholism in the congregations

by badboy 23 Replies latest jw friends

• beautiful dreamer awake
    beautiful dreamer awake

Hello, I'm new to the forum but have been reading a lot of your posts, it's been very interesting.

I remember about a couple of years ago someone from my mothers congregation said that an elders wife was on medication for depression. They went on to say this is the case of many in the truth lately, very depressed and using medication. I don't know about alcoholic, but my mother has been largely inactive for 20 years, so we don't know very much about what goes on internally.

Funny thing is, they attributed the cause of their anxiety and depression on "this system of things" getting worse, it was a sign of the end so to speak. It seems to never occur to them that it might be the jw mindset and lifestyle to blame, but they are in the thick of it. Also, I think that something can be said for trying to numb oneself to some of the things that go on. I went to a bookstudy awhile back to see how things were, from a new perspective, after knowing what I do now. It shocked me when the lesson reader said," as we know we cannot solve any of our problems, only Jehovah can do that". I thought that his comment, and the fact everyone was in agreement, spoke volumes. Maybe they see their mental problems as something Jehovah will take of, just like all the rest of their problems.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Actually, I think there is a misunderstanding of alcoholism and alcohol abuse here in this thread.

A person can abuse alcohol, even on a regular basis, but not be an alcoholic.

An alcoholic has the disease of alcoholism: the body's inability to process alcohol normally, just like a diabetic's body cannot process sugars normally. Alcohol becomes physically addictive. Alcoholism is usually, but not always, genetic. Similar with diabetes.

What's the difference? Probably a very fine line. Can the heavy user give up alcohol for an extended period of time and/or revert to being a "normal" "moderate" user? The true alcoholic cannot. Even when they are sober for extended periods of time and resume drinking, the drinking quickly steps up to where they would probably be if they had never stopped.

This type of behaviour is seen in young adults who later either realize their folly, or just naturally reduce their use because they have no time for it.

Alcohol can even be psychologically addictive to people who want to "escape". As with marijuana, which is not physically addictive.

Alcohol is an excellent drug for the JW. It is inexpensive, doesn't require a doctor's Rx, and is legal and readily acceptable.

-Brenda

• jws
    jws
    Actually, I think there is a misunderstanding of alcoholism and alcohol abuse here in this thread. A person can abuse alcohol, even on a regular basis, but not be an alcoholic.

My brother and I were definitely in the latter. I do not consider either of us alcoholics because we can step up or down our use with little or no effort. It was not an addicition. The buzz was just fun.

In our hall, we used to hang out with one confirmed alcoholic. He had, I think 3 DWI's within 2 years and 3 drinking-related accidents (one got covered up without a DWI because his dad repaired police vehicles and knew the officer). Fortunately, nobody was hurt in any of them. As part of the DWI sentencing, he was evaluated where they determined he was an alcoholic.

I don't know about alcholics at the Kingdom Hall, but I do know that after a couple years of being outsiders at our new hall, the above-mentioned guy found out we drank too and brought us into the inner-circle where almost all the teenagers at the hall were drinking. I'm not saying they were alcoholics. Just that they were sneaking around drinking.

• badboy
    badboy

wHAT IS A DOCTORS Rx?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit