Lessons require less thinking

by TheListener 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

When ever this subject comes up it reminds me of how all of this came to my attention only after leaving the troof.

One thing in particular is, I realized that the Question is provided for us, not by us and the answer is provided for us, not by us.

Then we eagerly raise our hands and "hear" ourselves stating the "provided answer" as if it was our own.

If it involved, "lets say how many hours we ought to spend in service" I would hear myself condeming myself, because I always was counseled that I needed to be more active.

When another part of me felt they demanded too much.

So what is the result?? Shame from self condemnation and anger at being overworked??

This gets more complicated as it goes on. Confusion confusion confusion.

Outoftheorg

• Bryan
    Bryan

Sounds like they don't want the r&f to think of a different thought answer. It's easier to conform this way.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• TheListener
    TheListener

Tickled PInk I think you are exactly right.

I looked up the word study in two dictionaries and found this:

Dictionary 1: 1 : a state of contemplation : 2 a : application of the mental faculties to the acquisition of knowledge <years of study> b : such application in a particular field or to a specific subject <the study of Latin> c : careful or extended consideration <the proposal is under study> d (1) : a careful examination or analysis of a phenomenon, development, or question

Dictionary 2:

1. The act or process of studying.
    2. The pursuit of knowledge, as by reading, observation, or research.
    3. Attentive scrutiny.

I believe the average witness fools themself into thinking that they are studying, when in fact they are reviewing (for purposes of memorization) material. I don't believe a thorough study of a subject can occur if only specific viewpoints are considered or if certain viewpoints are summarily excluded.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i remember when my dad would prepare for the meetings or personal study, he used his bible, the aid book, also he had these really fat thick green books he used that had i guess greek? words and their definitions.. he really STUDIED. he could explain the babylon the great book, and any question he was asked he could explain using the bible..

now... he picks up his watchtower.. skims over it.. folds it up and turns the tv on.

that more than anything shows me the fire that the wtbs used to stoke in people is gone.

i seriously think that at one time they may have had Gods blessing (although i do not think they held gods blessing exclusivly).. but i think they lost it.

Jeff regarding your comment.. .. our hall had an elder ASSIGNED to walk around and see who had studied.. it wasnt widely known but elder families knew it was an assigned task.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit