Who here still finds it hard to celebrate Christmas?

by dh 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I was kind of like codeblue with this one, a few years ago. I had no desire to do it, but as our children began to celebrate the holidays, and included us, we gradually got into the spirit of Christmas. Having not celebrated it since I was 4 years old, it did feel weird the first couple of times. Last year, we had our first large tree, and loved it. Now I am totally into it all.

Like Fleur, we are not religious at all, so I decorate with lights and Santa Claus. One of my daughters in law, uses snowmen. For the 8 grandchildren, it's just a magical time, and I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I think if codeblue and nodenial had children and grandchildren celebrating this holiday, they would jump right in too. But if your family are still JW's, it definitely would be an obstacle to doing the holiday.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple
    But as time went by I began to make my own traditions and I cherish the Holidays for what they mean to me.

I agree. I don't practice as a Christian and with my husband being Jewish we belong to a temple and are raising our son Jewish. My daughter on the other hand wants to go all out at Christmas (her father still a JW).....my husband brother's wife is Christian so they do both. It's not really celebrated from a religeous standpoint, it's just a great time for everyone to get together as familty in the spirit of the season. It's comfortable for me from this aspect. I don't have a tree or decorations but we live in a condo and not a lot of room for a tree, I promised my daughter that next year we would decorate with more Christmas decorations.

You kind of just have to make your own traditions make the holiday your own and don't try to copy nor expect to have the same experience as everyone else.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I'm glad someone brought this up

I have a hard time with Christmas, not because I think it's wrong but to me it all seems coerced. I see how people receive gifts only to return them to the stores on 12/26. I see people who don't really like each other breaking bread together pretending to be happy because they have to not because they want to. Isn't the point of being a free individual is to have the ablity to choose how and with whom you spend your time? I feel so awkward when someone sends me a card or gives me a gift--I feel like I have to go and reciprocate and then wonder if this person is going to go and exchange my gift and badmouth me to others. I've had this happen to me and it sucks. Last year my cousin sent me a card, and I didn't send her one on purpose just to see if this year she would do the same. As I predicted, I havent gotten a card from her yet this year. I don't enjoy Christmas at all.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Me, me, me!!!

I am/was/well, still am, 3rd gen Witness; and I mean, brought up borderline fanatical JW. Therefore, holidays mean nothing to me. I don't feel they ever will for as long as I live.

I envision when I finally close the curtain on this whole JW stuff, that perhaps I may decorate very lightly on holidays because I just don't feel the festive spirit. I don't know, perhaps I'll just hang flags for the different seasons, and like a fake candle on each window for X-mas. Something definitely on the lighter side of the celebrations.

DY

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I am 52 and cannot ever remember celebrating Xmas and probably wouldn't feel comfortable about it yet.

I do believe that Witness kids have a tough time at Xmas though. Mine are grown up now but if they weren't I would certainly consider making some sort of Xmas arrangements.

Eyeslice

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

I cannot imagine putting up all kinds of decorations, cleaning around them, taking them down, and packing them away like some people do. Talk about a pain in the ass!

• justhuman
    justhuman

I do

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

I always find myself hanging out on this board a bit more frequently during the holidays, mostly because it's full of people who, like me, have all the weird JW baggage associated with the holidays. It helps to be understood. And I still carry the feeling that I'm an outsider; that I'm celebrating something that belongs to them, not to me.

Like Mulan, I stick with the thoroughly non-religious decorations and Xmas card designs. For some reason, I'm more emotionally comfortable with celebrating a "pagan" holiday than with the possibility of celebrating a holiday based in "false religion." Weird, huh?

It's taken me more than 20 years--and a patient partner--to get past the idea that Xmas gifts must be "useful." The idea of giving something frivolous, interesting, or merely fun was completely foreign to me, and one I resisted. I finally saw that I was giving the kind of gifts I'd always gotten as a child--You remember, the "we give gifts year-round" thing that meant every time you got new socks or underwear or shoes, you had to count it as a "gift." This year, we gave a bunch of "Govenator" gear to the relatives in Iowa, who think it's a hoot that our governor is a former action hero. My favorite was a T-shirt for my brother-in-law that says "My governor can kick your governor's butt!" Completely useless, but good for a laugh.

Yeah, I still feel weird about celebrating Xmas. And there's a lot I don't understand about why certain aspects of Xmas are important to my partner. But I just go along, and trust that someone who's been celebrating it for a lifetime knows a thing or two.

I have carved my own niche as chief fudge-maker, though. I put out about 12 pounds of peanut butter-chocolate double-decker fudge yesterday--gifts for the neighbors and work mates.

Life is good.

Jankyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit