Re-introducing myself. :)

by Sunchild 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

Hi! I haven't posted here in ages, so I doubt anyone remembers me. In any case, my name is Rochelle, and I used to be a Witness. I started studying with them at age 17, got baptized at 18, and left at 24 or 25 for a lot of reasons. I think the biggest one is that there were just too many rules, and too few of them made sense. I left to preserve whatever remained of my questionable sanity.

In any case, I'm 29 years old (my birthday was yesterday; took the money my parents gave me and spent it on a Playstation 2 game *g*), very much female, I live alone except for my cat (my bestest friend in the world, named for a Final Fantasy character), and right now, I'm trying to undo the damage that life with an alcoholic parent and my seven or so years as a Witness did to me. I came back to this forum because I think it might be helpful, and I hope that I can help others as well.

If this board gives out a prize for unique religious histories, I think I stand a decent chance of winning. *g* I was raised as mostly nothing, wanted to make God happy so I became a JW because of their strictness, ended up LEAVING because of that strictness among other things, became a Pagan because the JW God was such a jerk that I wanted nothing to do with him (or, for awhile, men in general, but that's another story), and then... I ended up as a Christian because it turned out that the god they'd shown me wasn't God at all. But I'm not a traditional Christian; that's just not my intended path. It's a little complicated, so if you're bored and curious, you can get the details from this part of my Web site. You might want to start with "My Story" since that's how it all begins.

Let's see, what else is there...? Oh, yeah, the miscellaneous stuff. My favorite foods include sushi, pizza and chocolate, but not all at the same time. My kitty's name is Kuja. I don't have a favorite color since I like them all. I love Hello Kitty, and I still watch cartoons. I'm an aspiring writer. My favorite musical genres are alternative and metal, and my favorite band right now is 12 Stones. I haven't yet heard a song of theirs that I didn't like.

Nice to see so many new faces -- and to recognize so many familiar names.

Love,

~Rochelle.

• dh
    dh

hi, welcome back to the board and happy birthday.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Welcome back and happy birthday. I'm a new face so don't remember you.

Kwin

• bigboi
    bigboi

I remember ya Rochelle. Glad to see ya back around the way.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Welcome Home Rochelle

Happy Birthday

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

Aww, you guys are sweet. Thanks for welcoming me, and bigboi, thanks for remembering me. That's always nice to know.

~Rochelle.

• sandy
    sandy

Welcome back Rochelle.

I just read your story, it is very interesting. So, if you use your powers for good, can you give me a million dollars?

How did you first come in contact with the witnesses? Was it through friends/family or did they show up on your doorstep one day? Just curious.

• Sunchild
    Sunchild
    I just read your story, it is very interesting. So, if you use your powers for good, can you give me a million dollars?

*laughs* Well, I can't think of any witch in the world, Christian or otherwise, who would make a promise like that unless they were... ethically challenged. So, no, I can't. Sorry 'bout that.

As for how I first met the Witnesses, like I said, I was determined to find the true Christian faith. My father was a big fan of Garner Ted Armstrong back then, and I picked up a lot of my beliefs from him: Holidays weren't Christian, Sunday's not the Sabbath, etc. I started off by looking for a Christian sect which didn't celebrate holidays, and the Witnesses were right there. So, the next time they stopped by the house, I accepted their offer for a Bible study. It all went [downhill] from there.

I guess God was trying to teach me a lesson: having the longest list of rules doesn't determine whether or not a person/group is truly Christian. In fact, it seems as though more rules equal less genuine spirituality since they come from the outside. The most important things are simple, and they always start from within.

~Rochelle.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Hi Sunchild,

I do remember you. I also used to post on the original H2O. Did you ever post there?

NewLight2

ps
    There is another poster here, 'new light', but that is not me.

• Preston
    Preston

Hi Sunchild,

Welcome back

I enjoyed your website!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit