What did you pray for when you were a JW?

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I never prayed expecting God to solve my problems like magic without my active involvement in their solution.

I never prayed for wealth or fame or even good health.

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

Blondie (survivor of sexual abuse survivor and an alcoholic family)

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

I prayed that Jehoavh would make that hottie like me back.

When he fell for my best friend, I prayed to Satan.

• pc
    pc

Funny thing is I really never prayed. Only when I thought a demon was coming for me in the middle of the night!!

Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah LOL

• blondie
    blondie

pc, I thought a demon was coming for me in the night, too, he looked like my father.

• pc
    pc

That's funny Blondie, (unfortunely true)

• new light
    new light

I prayed for circumstances to allow pioneering, prayed for more faith,. prayed for self-control, prayed for a Bible study. It's really all quite unbelievable now. None of these prayers were answered, but I thought it was somehow my fault.

• minimus
    minimus

to be a good boy

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Ditto Minimus.

I remember when I was a teenager and feeling very divided in my own desires ("God" or "the world"), that I came to choose "Jehovah" against myself, and then was constantly trying to escape my own shadow as it were. One verse that repeatedly came into my prayers at that stage was Psalm 86:11 (NWT): " Instruct me, O Jehovah, about your way. I shall walk in your truth. Unify my heart to fear your name."

Not accepting one's contradictions was the best foundation for a self-destructive life.

• Sunchild
    Sunchild

I must've prayed for quite a few things, but I remember three clearly.

1. I often prayed for a husband since, after all, a woman is useless by herself and I wasn't getting any younger.

2. In my darker moments (and there were a lot of them towards the end) I prayed for death.

3. This is the one that stands out the most. I remember one night when, in tears and in genuine pain, I asked God why he loved women less than he loved men, why women were just property. I asked why he gave my all of my gifts and abilities when, since I wasn't a man, I would always be inferior. I probably should have realized on that very night that being a JW was patently unhealthy for me.

~Rochelle.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    PC, Funny thing is I really never prayed. Only when I thought a demon was coming for me in the middle of the night!!

Ya gotta stay away from them beans!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit