Russellites and other questions

by under74 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Russell's quote from the Watchtower 7/15/1906

"....so I paid Mr. Barbour's expenses to come to see me at Philadelphia...to show me fully and Scripturally, if he could, that the prophecies indicated 1874 as the date at which the Lord's presence and the harvest began. He came and the evidence satisfied me."

• under74
    under74

MEGADUDE-

Russell's quote from the Watchtower 7/15/1906

"....so I paid Mr. Barbour's expenses to come to see me at Philadelphia...to show me fully and Scripturally, if he could, that the prophecies indicated 1874 as the date at which the Lord's presence and the harvest began. He came and the evidence satisfied me."

FANTASTIC! I kept seeing Barbour's name come up but kept failing to see a literal meeting between a Millerite and Russell.

I knew I should have posted sooner....would have saved me A LOT of time sifting though this mess. You guys have been a great help and given me much to to look at,

THANK YOU.

Now, one more question:

Who was the founder of the Church of God? I read in an article that this is considered an Adventist group and that it came out of the Millerite's as well. This is the Church of God that spawned Christian Identity which influenced Aryan Nation. Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks again, everyone.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Not sure who founded The Church of God, Seventh Day, but I do know it spawned the Worldwide Church of God founded by Herbert W. Armstrong in 1934 or so.

Here's a fascinating article which touches on this and plenty of other Adventist history, including Russellites.

http://www.wcg.org/lit/prophecy/anglo/howanglo.htm

• jwsons
  • under74
    under74

M.J.- Thanks a lot. Very interesting article.

jwsons- I can't believe I haven't seen this site before. Thank you!

• justhuman
  • under74
    under74

justhuman-

Thanks for posting that link. I have seen the North Seattle Bible Students link before. It's informative but I tend to think they're just as deeply into revisionist history as JWs are...I'm also leaning towards them being a small offshoot or spawn of the JWs. Do you know anything about them? Just wondering...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit