What is the qualifications for an Elder?

by William Penwell 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Re: What is the qualifications for an Elder?

I don't know but it could be being silly in a way or an other (conciously or not)

• dh
    dh

enough years in the same congregation.

• teela(2)
    teela(2)

Penis

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

A cheap suit and excessive nostril hair? And really, like insanely bush eyebrows, so he looks like the faux-Soviet aliens in Babylon 5?

Or a bald shiney head, just like a lightbulb without about as much inside as a lightbulb too? Guy was a pavement inspector for the local authority. Oh, UK 'pavement' is US 'sidewalk'.

Being a twat, as I can recall, is another requirement.

My dad is actually a really 'nice' elder, and I'm not being biased. He's always been very moderate and human.

He was a Congregation Servant back in the '50's or what-ever. I think he got in before they set the rules.

But most of them? Ugggh. They are arch-literalists 9 times out of ten.

• minimus
    minimus

Here they are: You have to be stupid, ignorant, dogmatic, self-centered, gullible, irritating, and a good butt kisser......BTW, "PENIS" is a great answer.

• franklin J
    franklin J

#1 ........ARROGANCE and superiority

these are the trademark elder qualities

it helps if you wear polyester suits, cheap loafers, and a fake Rolex watch......might as well dress the part

• Scully
    Scully

Well, I was going to say "penis" but I see someone else already did.

btw, minimus:

You have to be stupid, ignorant, dogmatic, self-centered, gullible, irritating, and a good butt kisser.

You were an Elder?, weren't you??

Love, Scully

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

I know an Elder that used to do drugs and his brain is really fried now. Apparently the qualifications aren't that high! Or maybe you just have to be high to be an Elder, who knows now adays? HA HA, Sorry I couldn't resist!

• FairMind
    FairMind

While the scriptures do not speak of a position of elder they do mention the spiritual qualifications of an “older man” or mature Christian. These qualifications are outlined in a previous post within this topic. Therefore, the topic being addressed is if these qualifications are the basis for the appointment of JW elders or are there other factors. My personal experience is that by far most JW elders are good men. Derogatory comments regarding elders in general detract from intelligent discussion concerning the VAST majority of elders. It seems to me that the “bad apple” elders have left a bad taste in many of our mouths for all elders.

While scriptural consideration is given to the selection of JW elders there are other factors considered. Some of these other factors might (or would) be: 1.) How long has this individual been a JW in good standing? 2.) Has this person always been loyal to the WTS? 3.) Are they submissive to the congregational elders in all things or do they have an independent and rebellious spirit (translated – do they think for themselves)? 3.) Who are they related to or who do they know that has influence?

Sad to say, many elders are not truly spiritual men but are simply ordinary men who have congregational positions of authority. I believe it to be very true that elders, no matter how good they might be as individuals are indeed spiritual policemen and no ways close to being shepherds.

FM

• heathen
    heathen

The whole org. is so rotten from top to bottom there probly is a payoff somewhere in there. You really have to be good at stifling independant thinking or in other words muzzle a bull in it's threshing . You have to be an exspert at mind F@#$ games . Really fairmind there is no position of elder it is simply just older men , the only positions that are mentioned in the scripture quoted are ministerial servant and overseer . It just so happens that overseer requires exsperiece and a family man thus usually an older man . If you notice women are not even included as far as ministerial servants , the apostle paul did not include women in the same sence as men .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit