Has anyone sucessfully talked a JW into quiting?

by JustTickledPink 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Wow Pink - Three of us have the same mom!

The only 2 risks I see in continuing to pusue it are:

1. Your mom opens her eyes to the real truth and can't handle that she's wasted 40 years of her life and destroyed family relationships, etc and either has a mental breakdown or kills herself.

2. She decides you are an APOSTATE and shuns you totally for the rest of your life.

That's what I see as my problem when addressing my mom. I've gotten a couple of good points in but usually her defenses come up and I get a long JW rant. And I HATE those!!

I thought about telling my mom not to ever, under any circumstance, read CoC. Then maybe she would read it just to prove me wrong. But then if she read it - - I'd be back to problem #1 Above. ((sigh)). So what's a girl to do??

Good luck with yours. And if you find anything that works...PLEASE PM ME!!!

• Buck
    Buck

honestly, shes been in for 40 years. She doesnt want to hear what you have to say as much as you dont want to listen to what she has to say. Shes old, try to be the bigger person and compromise. If you cant, never discuss religion with her. You may never agree. Let it go

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

I'd like to thank the folks at the Watchtower Society, especially the writing commitee and those who contirbuted to the August 1, 2002 Watchtower, for successfully talking me into leaving. Thanks guys!

• minimus
    minimus

ohhhh yea

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

MungoBaobab,

What exactly in that WT made you want to leave? Is there a discussion on JWD about that WT? If yes, what is the url?

NewLight2

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I'm interested too! Someone post a scan?

• undercover
    undercover
    honestly, shes been in for 40 years. She doesnt want to hear what you have to say as much as you dont want to listen to what she has to say. Shes old, try to be the bigger person and compromise. If you cant, never discuss religion with her. You may never agree.

I agree with that, except sometimes the JW family member refuses to let it go. I never bring up the subject with my mother, I just try to keep it on happy things, but invariably she'll broach the subject and it leads to an argument. I tell myself everytime afterwards, that I won't let her get me going again, but it never fails, she'll goad me into another one later.

I realize that my mom is almost 70 yrs old, spent most of her life as a JW, her whole life revolves around it. She's happy as a JW. I'm happy if she's happy, so I don't go to try to change her. I just wish she didn't try to change me.

Have you ever heard a JW parent say, "all i wanted was for my child to be a faithful JW" or something similar? Now think about that for a minute. What a guilt trip that is. By and large most parents say, "all I wanted for my child was for them to be happy and safe and secure". I know that Mormons and some other cultish type religions, maybe some Catholics to a smaller degree, can relate, but most normal, well-adjusted parents want their kids to be happy at what ever they choose in life. It's the cult controlled parents that heap guilt on their children for leaving the faith.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    August 1, 2002 Watchtower

What was in that mag? I had faded by then and my watchtower cd doesn't go that far forward!

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Wow! Looks like some "Ex-JWs are in a tizzy!" LOL

I'll start a new thread. Look for the "Worst Watchtower Issue EVER"

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I was a dyed in the wool Jw. I successfully saw the light. But it does take time. My husband tried for 10 years before I realized it all.

wanna

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit