What have you done to counteract the 'cult of Jehovah's witnesses?'

by AK - Jeff 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    those items don't identify a cult, they simply identify another religious belief..

Then by your standards there is nothing that would identify a cult.

it's like saying: one mark of a cult is claiming the trinity to be a false teaching.

As a member of that particular belief system, could that member question that doctrine and not be excommunicated?

"cults deny salvation by faith alone"

If you belong to an Org that teaches works for salvation, could a member question that doctrine and stay in good standing?

makes it obvious that this list is not about marking cults, but leading the reader simply to a different belief system

How so?

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

Then by your standards there is nothing that would identify a cult.

yes, there is, but the list may not include the word "bible" (as if there would be only christian cults) nor a specific exegesis. by your definition the writer of "james" was member of a cult too.

could that member question that doctrine and not be excommunicated?

there you go! that's a sign of a cult.

but the list you offered is surprisingly similar to WTO argumentation: they are wrong, so we must be right.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

To the initial question: almost nothing.

I guess the very fact I was df'd for apostasy was somewhat meaningful to some people I knew. When I was asked to speak or write about the JWs I did, and I tried to be honest in doing so (sometimes debunking unwarranted anti-JW prejudice). I was never interested in anti-JW militantism per se.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    by your definition the writer of "james" was member of a cult too.

I disagree. Your making this statement based on your rendering of James' illustration of works/faith??

This might be another thread in and of itself.

edited to add:

but the list you offered is surprisingly similar to WTO argumentation: they are wrong, so we must be right.
    You lost me here. Explain?
  • franklin J
    franklin J

btt

I have successfully built myself a new life which does not include them.

The best revenge ( on that entire warped JW way of life) is being happy and living well.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I interact with people at a normal level, not standoffish like before.

I politely say 'bless you' when people sneeze, and welcome all holiday greetings and return them politely.

It's wonderful to deal with fellow humans without all the WTBTS red tape.

DY

• cccute31
    cccute31

Hi. I'm a new member on the forum (have been 'lurking' the last couple days). I guess I always think about the stain JW's have left on my life around the holidays (how festive). My biological mother is a JW, my parents divorced when I was 5, and at age 10 my father gained custody of me so I didn't really "grow-up" as a JW, however, I have a lot of horrible memories from when I was younger...i.e. the Elders coming over and shaking me because they found out I took part in Xmas activities at school (I was ratted-out by my mother), my mother working 2 jobs because she quite college the moment she became a JW and blaming me/beating me for the poverty, the other witnesses being so mean to my mother (and me), having private meetings, as they knew I would visit my dad and celebrate holidays, etc. Anyway, soon after I went to live with my father, my mother and I had really no contact. Sometimes she would "sneak" to meet me for lunch, however, this was not allowed by her JW brethren and our only contact soon became random calls to try to 'save' me and the copies of Awake! and Watchtower that seemed to follow me to every dorm/apartment/home I ever lived in.

The reason I am writing is this...over the past year she has been calling me...I haven't seen her since college and I am 32...she is still a JW, but seems to be 'softening' in her language trying to convert me and sometimes will ask me about normal life events...A strained relationship, for sure, however, I am wondering if there is anyway I can "save" her from the JW's...she hasn't had much of a life...working menial jobs and spending hours and hours pioneering...now she is in poor health and getting flack for her lack of 'door-to-door' work...even though we don't share a real mother-daughter love relationship, I do care, as she is my mother, and wish I could open her eyes to make her life better...

I am thinking of sending her one of those ex-Witness books...does anyone know of one that might help or even cut through the thick-skin of somebody who has been brainwashed for 30+ years?

Thanks much...I've really enjoyed reading all of these posts...

• Golf
    Golf

Personally, I don't time to think about them. I'm a man on a mission and I don't need things to hinder my mission. Like sports it's just another phase and learning experience. In golf, when you finish playing the previous hole, you go to the next, the next, the next, etc until your done. Tomorrow is another new day and another new game, what's so difficult?

• PinTail
    PinTail

Basicly not being afraid of telling them" what I think for a change! I used to be scared that the earth would open up and swallow me up or some dum thing like the pictures I seen as a kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit