Disfellowshipping--The Christian View

by comment 19 Replies latest jw friends

• comment
    comment

Excerpt from The Watchtower, October 15, 2006: "Disfellowshipping--The Christian View"

12. Likewise in modern times, the Christian congregation is compelled to disfellowship unrepentant wrongdoers. But what of those who sincerely regret the reproach they have brought upon Jehovah's name, organization and people? Such ones may be restored to spiritual health. If so, they would not be expelled from the congregation.

13. The question then arises: "How should we treat disfellowshipped persons?" In the past, some Christians may have reasoned that a wholehearted application of such scriptures as 1 Corinthians 9:11 and 2 John 11 required them to avoid any contact whatsoever with such individuals. They acted on the basis of their consciences and should not be criticized for the stand they took. However, as we saw earlier, the inspired Bible writers clearly applied their prohibitions on association to unusual or exceptional cases, such as an active member of the congregation who openly espoused fornication, or a Christian elder who publicly denied the value of the ransom sacrifice.

14. The account of the prodigal son deeply moves us and causes us to reflect on Jehovah's boundless love and compassion, does it not? (Luke 15:11-32) Would we not wish to experience similar compassion from the congregation, even if we had fallen into a course of life not in harmony with the Scriptures? Surely the answer is yes! Therefore, today mature Christians do not view themselves as superior to those who have been disfellowshipped, refusing to speak with them or acknowledge their presence. Rather, they may choose to associate with disfellowshipped ones no more than they do with worldlings, always bearing in mind that the best and most upbuilding association can be found in God's clean organization. By setting a fine example and using words "seasoned with salt," Christians attract both newly interested ones and disfellowshipped ones to take the path of righteousness. (Col. 4:6)

15. What of those who voluntarily withdraw from being Jehovah's Witnesses, stating that they wish to dissociate themselves? That is their choice. Each must render his own account to our Creator. Jehovah's Witnesses are known as champions of religious freedom worldwide. While it is deeply regretted that a few who used to be zealous Kingdom proclaimers no longer take their Christian dedication to heart, we are not empowered to "separate the sheep from the goats," as Jesus Christ will during God's great war of Armageddon. (Matt. 25:32,33) There is no need to make a point of never speaking to those who disassociate themselves. We follow the words of Philippians 4:5: "Let your reasonableness become known to all men." Rather than clinging to past views, we humbly make adjustments. Let us be determined to keep in step with Jehovah's progressive organization as the light grows brighter! (Prov. 4:18)

• comment
    comment

So? How do you think they might do it, if they do it?

• Jang
    Jang

It would be good if they get that far by 2006 but let's not hold our breath.

What could happen is another split like the Worldwide church of God had. Some went of and are now worse than the original and the WCG itself went mainstream - or reformed

JanG
    CAIC Website: http://caic.org.au/zjws.htm
    Personal Webpage: http://uq.net.au/~zzjgroen/

• AngelofMuZiC
    AngelofMuZiC

YEAH.....AND PIGS FLY!!! It would be real nice to open up a WT and see that, but I truly doubt that would ever happen!!! But, good writing though. Maybe you should send this to the WTS, eh?
    My Regards,
    Joanne

• comment
    comment

Joanne: believe me, I'd be happy to write the whole article if they'd let me! lol...I agree, I don't see this change coming up around the corner, but you never know, maybe at some point, due to legal or financial pressures or a decision that they're losing more members than they're retaining with the disfellowshipping policy as it stands...

comment

• gsark
    gsark

Jehovah's Witnesses are not known as champions of religious freedom anywhere. Not anymore.

By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.

• chipster
    chipster

comment,

that was some outstanding writing on your part! had a buddy in writing, told me that a good days work in his department was writing two paragraphs for the AW magazine. that being the case, you must have close to a week invested in your projected "new light"..LOL

great job!!

chip....currently DF'd...

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Excellent job, comment. You have the style down pat.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yes indeed Comment, nice article, or rather part of an article. It's a bit scary, really, isn't it? Sounds almost Christian!

I'd like to see the whole article but somehow I don't think I'll live long enough to see it as I'm already an old man.

I notice that you have the "blame the R&F" approach down to a T!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"So often, the unpolished
    the disjointed
    Is on its way to the truth
    Ahead of the finished
    the polished."

Ken Walsh, Sometimes I Weep

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

gsark stated, "Jehovah's Witnesses are not known as champions of religious freedom anywhere. Not anymore."

Not so my friend. I just noticed the little PR work they did on the back of the May 15, 2001 WT which is entitled...

'Thank Jehovah's Witnesses for Religious Freedom'

"Before you shut the door on a Jehovah's Witness," says an article in the newspaper USA Today, "pause to consider the shameful persecution they suffered not too long ago, as well as the rich contribution they have made to the First Amendment freedoms we all enjoy." Jehovah's Witnesses were persecuted in the United States thoughout the 1940's for, among other things, refusing to salute the flag. -Exodus 20:4,5

I'll spare you guys the rest of the ad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit