A Mormon Ray Franz

by startingover 9 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

It appears to me that Grant Palmer is the Mormon equivelant to Ray Franz. The Mormons appear to be a little more lenient but it will be interesting to see what happens to him.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apus_story.asp?category=1110&slug=Heresy%20Trial

If my memory serves me correctly, in the beginning of his discoveries about 607 Ray never had the idea to take people away from the organization, he just thought the truth should be told. Exactly the same situation with Palmer.

I have thought for some time that if info like these men were exposing got out there would be a mass exodus from the organization and that is why the head honchos squash the problem. I am now of the opinion that people comfortable in these high control religions could care less about truth.

I put up with endless meetings and preaching because I thought it was truth. When I discovered it wasn't truth it didn't take long for those things to go. It's so hard for me to understand the mindset of these people that find a way to ignore truth.

• sandy
    sandy
    I am now of the opinion that people comfortable in these high control religions could care less about truth.

"COMFORTABLE " is the key word here. Many who do know something is wrong will never look deeper to find out the truth. It is much like a disfunctional family or relationship, you are used to it. No matter how bad it is many will stay because they are comfortable, it is all they know or choose to know.

• Gill
    Gill

Knowing the truth hurts! For a while at least. That's why people like to ignore it.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Spirituality organized within a group = Politics = Power = Compromise, Hypocrisy, Corruption, Deceit, Denial, Intrigues.

Spirituality organized within a person = Spontaneous Acts of Compassion.

There is nothing new in all this. It just takes time to see the difference and make the choice while you still can.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Spirituality organized within a person = Spontaneous Acts of Compassion.

I like it! I like it very much!! Except spiritualty isn't organized within a person - it just IS!

Ian

• FairMind
    FairMind

Sometimes knowing the truth is not really the "truth" is not enough to make someone leave the WTS. The reason for not leaving may not have anything to do with being comfortable with false teachings and not caring a hoot about the lies they have told. I think a lot of people remain JWs because they know that 1.) other religions are just as phoney or even more phoney 2.) They have decided not to be controlled and therfore aren't to any great degree (myself) 3.) All ther loved one's are JWs (wife, kids, grandkids, etc.) and they don't want to be cut off from them. Reason number 3 could be the most important reason.

Just some observations.

FM

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    The book says Smith didn't actually translate the Book of Mormon "by the gift and power of God" from an ancient set of golden plates, as the church's followers believe. Palmer suggested Smith wrote it himself, leaning heavily on the King James Bible and personal experiences.

uh, ya think? LOL

• Carmel
    Carmel

Most peoples beliefs are heavily conditioned on emotional issues. Hence logic, reason, truth, may be given lip service to stay "comfortable". That's why those who are going though an emotional trauma are more likely to question their core beliefs than those that have it made, materially, socially, emotionally, etc. Why do you think preachers and JWs are so successful in hospitals, jails and the like? The vulnerable, ie ones in emotional and mental transition are "open" to easy answers and are willing to give up their capacity to reason for some "comfort".

carmel

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Startingover, Your thoughts are exactly what I have been saying.I was there because I believed it but soon as I done some research, It didn't take me long to get out.I heard several say they wouldn't leave even if it was wrong.They don't want the truth. Can't imagine anyone liking the Meetings, Assembles, and Service that well. I think it is going to take another one of the Society's false prediction and then maybe those who are sincere will get out.I can't imagine why they would need anymore.

• startingover
    startingover

In talking to my family they say they are happy where they are. But things are going good right now. There is plenty of money, friends, health etc. I think I will start asking them if they would still be happy if they had to give up their life because of a blood issue, or to give up their lifestyle and property because of some political issue like Malawi.

I was never taught that the criteria for believing this was god's org. was happiness, I thought it was because it was truth. Somehow I believe that's gotten lost over the years of good times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit