Hope...

by joannadandy 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

So while sitting at work, being off task, for hoots and hollars I type my best friend's name in a people search. I don't really know what compells me, perhaps a Hallmark special the night before, or the the fact that tis the season to wonder about old friends...and to wish you could share some time together again.

I have writen about her here in the past. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/36575/1.ashx. It was always her experience and the way the elders treated that always got me thinking, "God's organization indeed." While I always thought the fault was with me before, it was after their treatment of her I realized I wasn't the flawed one here.

A shock to me (because those people searches NEVER work for me) I found her. And living in the city she was moving to when last we talked. I was worried the information was old, but wrote it down nonetheless.

I hemed and hawed for a few days over what to do. What do you say? What if she is still in. I had heard through the grapevine she had gone back to meetings for a time. That made me nervous. One of my other friends who had already left once had gone back, and all zealous too. (Zealous for daddies money to bail her out I'm sure had something to do with it too).

Good old Hallmark to the rescue. (No really they paid me nothing and this is not a commercial for them). I decided while shopping to just stroll through and see if I found anything that struck a cord. I did. Something about lost friendships, but knowing if we met again the same familiarity would always be there.

So I sent it off. (I was too chicken shit to call).

I also added a little note inside explaining that I wasn't going to meetings, so that if she felt she couldn't contact me I understood. I figured it was only fair.

Well mail must travell faster than I expected because I got a phone call a day and a half later from her. Apparently she is done with the witnesses too. She had read some of the same books I had. Apparently while explaining to her youngest brother (who is doing nothing with the witnesses and has developed an escapist drug problem) that he should maybe try and read these books, he let it slip that his sister was an apostate.

Her parents, grandparents, and everyone else in her family hasn't spoken to her in over a month. And sworn they won't.

She mentioned she was really glad to get a letter from me, she could really use some friends now. She was especially glad to hear I too am an "apostate" because it "feels good to find someone who understands what it was like"

Maybe there is a God. Maybe it's fate, but for whatever reason I feel like it was a good thing I got the urge to write a note to a friend...a friend at the time I didn't know would need me so badly.

We have tenative plans to meet soon. My hope is we stay together this time, and not let such a long and meaningless time pass between vists again.

• Valis
    Valis

excellent jo! Always pleasant to meet old friends..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Will Power
    Will Power

Thanks for sharing that.

Hope seems to be all I have left so it is nice hear 2 paths meeting again. I am very happy for you.

will

almost signed my real name

• Mystery
    Mystery

Maybe Christmas is about miracles.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Jo, I'm so happy that you ran into an old friend. That must feel great! I hope it works out for hte both of you. It really sounds like she could use a listening ear.

Best,

Paul

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

That is really great. I often think of my old best friend who I know is still JW, but I know she won't have anything to do with me... but maybe someday.

So glad you connected!

• Fleur
    Fleur

that is so wonderful, I'm so happy for you!

I had a similiar experience with a dear friend a couple years ago and I am so happy that she is back in my life. She had left such a huge void when she was missing. I have one other especially close JW friend I keep holding out some hope for in my heart (besides my family of course), and your post gives me hope that someday, maybe she and I will be friends again. We had planned for our daughters to grow up together...

I hope that you two can regain what you lost along the way. Good for you for reaching out to her!

hugs!

essie

p.s. OMG, I just read the original post. heartbreaking. I lost two babies to miscarriage myself it's a pain that you can't fathom if you haven't ever been through it. your friend is so lucky to have you...to have always had you. you're a very good friend!

• jgnat
    jgnat

That is so very kewl. Here's hoping the first meeting and many more are very special for you both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit