Jan 15th WT - Quiet desperation from the Governing Body

by truthseeker 46 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

The January 15th WT, "Can You Control Your Future" is the prelude to the Feb 1st Watchtower that contains the 2004 Annual Service Report statistics.

In the second study article (pages 15-20), the GB acknowledge the fact that people aren't paying attention to their waffle.

There are some surprising statements in the last paragraph, but first, let's highlight some points in this article...

FOREGLEAMS OF GOD'S KINGDOM BECOME A REALITY

para 3

As early as the 1870's, before "the last days" commenced, Jehovah God began to shed light on "the sacred secrets of the kingdom of the

heavens." At that time a group of Bible students discerned-contrary to popular opinion-that Christ's return was to be invisible. After being

enthroned in heaven, Jesus would return in the sense of focusing his royal attention on the earth. A visible composite sign would alert his

disciples that his invisible presence had begun."

There are a number of problems with this statement. Firstly, this statement smacks of revisionist history. Just think of 1984. The Orwellian world is well and truly alive in Bethel.

Consider the following quote taken from their own "Proclaimers book", page 632

Based on the premise that events of the first century might find parallels in related events later, they also concluded that if Jesus' baptism and

anointing in the autumn of 29 C.E. paralleled the beginning of an invisible presence in 1874, then riding into Jerusalem as King in the spring of

33 C.E. would point to the spring of 1878 as the time he would assume his power as heavenly King."

What composite sign was there in the 1870s, if Jesus invisible presence began in 1874? The whole article seems dedicated to reinforcing the 1914 date.

But the interesting part, is as usual, at the end of the article...

Keep Your Senses

20 "The faithful and discreet slave" regularly exhorts God's people to stay spiritually vigilant and to keep their senses. Do you appreciate these

timely reminders? Do you use them in setting priorities in life? Why not ask yourself: "Do I have clear spiritual vision that enables me to see

the Son of God ruling in heaven? Do I see him poised to execute divine judgement against Babylon the Great and the rest of Satan's system?"

21 Some now associated with Jehovah's people have allowed their spiritual vision to grow dim. Could it be that they lack patience or

endurance, as did some of Jesus' early disciples? Have anxieties of life, materialism, or persecution affected them? Perhaps some have

found certain information published by the "faithful and discreet slave" hard to grasp. If any of this has happened to you, we urge you

to study God's Word with renewed zeal and to supplicate Jehovah so that you may regain a strong, close relationship with him.

Some very interesting points, and clearly shows the desperation the Governing Body face, with an exodus of informed Jehovah's Witnesses.

Let's look at these points in order, from paragraph 20...

1.The faithful and discreet slave" regularly exhorts God's people to stay spiritually vigilant and to keep their senses.

2.Do you appreciate these timely reminders?

3.Do you use them in setting priorities in life?

4.Why not ask yourself: "Do I have clear spiritual vision that enables me to see the Son of God ruling in heaven?5.Do I see him poised to execute divine judgement against Babylon the Great and the rest of Satan's system?"

6.Some now associated with Jehovah's people have allowed their spiritual vision to grow dim.

7.Could it be that they lack patience or endurance, as did some of Jesus' early disciples?

8.Perhaps some have found certain information published by the "faithful and discreet slave" hard to grasp.

The comment that really sticks out, is point 8: "Perhaps some have found certain information published by the "faithful and discreet slave" hard to grasp.

Maybe the two-witness rule to acts of child abuse had something to do with these "things that are hard to grasp." Unfair disfellowshipping, flip-flopping on doctrine and the confusing blood issue may have had something to do with it.

It's clear that numbers just ain't what they used to be.

And now for a look at August and Septembers service report...

TOTAL publishers for August: 1, 019, 696 (Nov KM)

TOTAL publishers for September: 990, 551 (Dec KM)

Yes, a great start to the service year, a drop of 30,000 publishers. Maybe these ones are finding things "hard to grasp"

The best part of all, is that if you find things "hard to grasp", just follow the urging of the "faithful and discreet slave" to study God's Word with renewed zeal and to supplicate Jehovah so that you may regain a strong, close relationship with him.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    At that time a group of Bible students discerned-contrary to popular opinion-that Christ's return was to be invisible

I thought the 'invisible return' shtick was a decision made after the date passed? Until the date passed, they believed he'd come marching right down out of heaven and straighten the Pope out and all that, didn't they?

Revisionism indeed!

Dave

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

8.Perhaps some have found certain information published by the "faithful and discreet slave" hard to grasp. I don't find things hard to grasp.........I find/found them extremely hard to believe.......how gullible do they think the average person is? Terri

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    As early as the 1870's, before "the last days" commenced, Jehovah God began to shed light on "the sacred secrets of the kingdom of the heavens." At that time a group of Bible students discerned-contrary to popular opinion-that Christ's return was to be invisible

Lie.

1889 "In the coming 26 years, all present governments will be overthrown and dissolved." (C.T. Russell, Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2, p. 98-99, 1889)

1908 "In view of this strong Bible evidence concerning the Times of the Gentiles, we consider it an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the Kingdom of God, will be accomplished at the end of A. D. 1914." (The Time Is At Hand; 1889; 1908 ed.; p. 99)

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

SunnyGal,

The Governing Body know this. They won't budge or move an inch.

To change things now, would bring down their whole house of cards.

I sense a despeartion similar to the one that appeared in the mid 70s when their 1975 date failed.

People are more informed than ever.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Wow.

This article does seem desparate. And these numbers we have been seeing...they look so bad! I figure they must have plumped them up the best they could, and still they are down, down, down.

It is almost too good to believe....... Could it be? Dare I believe it? Is the Tower really starting to crumble?

Here's hoping.....

• Pole
    Pole
    8.Perhaps some have found certain information published by the "faithful and discreet slave" hard to grasp.

made my day....

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    Perhaps some have

found certain information published by the "faithful and discreet slave" hard to grasp.

Or, most likely, they've found that most information published by the FDS is not worth the already cheap paper it's printed on.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

that Christ's return was to be invisible

Do you remember that tale about the king who was naked but all around him convinced him that he had the most beautiful new suit of clothes - but it was invisible!!!!!!

Rather like this Watchtower tale, eh?

• jaredg
    jaredg
    Perhaps some have

found certain information published by the "faithful and discreet slave" hard to grasp. If any of this has happened to you, we urge you

to study God's Word with renewed zeal and to supplicate Jehovah so that you may regain a strong, close relationship with him.

it's interesting that they equate accepting and grasping difficult dogman published by the WTBTS as having a close relationship with Jehovah. so basically if you don't agree with the WTBTS then you can't be close to God. WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit