What's your worst job experiences?

by missy04 16 Replies latest jw friends

• missy04
    missy04

I don't have too many crumby experiences, but I was just sitting here thinking about when I worked as a hostess at a local restaurant. It was kind of a family-owned restaurant, and whoever had worked there for a long time still worked there no matter how @$@#^ their attitudes were. I tried and tried to just be polite and have conversations with them but they didn't like me and were antagonizing me to the point of being in tears from the start.

There was one particular waitress who the men would walk in and specifically ask for..like walk up and whisper in your ear..."put me at A----'s table, please"..it wasn't too big of a mystery why all the men asked for her.

And one particular waitress made a habit of throwing the menu's at me when she wanted them put back after being used...like walk by me and throw them over her shoulder and I would be trying to catch them all.

There was also alot of he-said-she-said bullcrap. "so and so needs to help with this...blah blah blah." So I had had enough of being treated like crap and called in to quit and they fired me....

I know I am starting some dumb threads tonight, but I am in a talkative mood...lol

What's you guy's bad experiences with jobs? I'm sure you all have lots worse experiences than me.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Well, I used to have a management job for a large established cold storage company. RIGHT after 9-11, they closed down, I was still feeling good about having such a good posisition. I went to an interview for an "advertisement" company. The interview went fabulous. The guy was telling me about how I'd get to travel, and meet great people. They invited me back for a second interview. At which point, the guy said he liked me so much he wanted he to go along with their "top executives" and learn what I may have the possabilty of doing.

So, I get in to a car with 3 strange men. We go to this upscale neighborhood. The job was door to door alarm sales. I was so PISSED. And, it brought back my pioneer days. I started crying in the middle of the street, refused to go to any houses with them, and demanded to be taken back to the office.

It only lasted 3 hours, but it was the WORST job EVER. I love my job now.

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Worst job experience was actually not in my shitty jobs of my youth (and believe me I had some) but later in life. I work in the Investment Banking industry and have had various positions over the years from Stock Broker, Trader, Institutional Sales and Trading, and Corporate Finance and Investment Banking.

The worst experience by far was when I was on the trading desk and I was flipping massive quantities of Stocks and Derivatives. For the most part I was very good at clipping on momentum (and still am although I don't do it nearly as often since I am off the desk now). I was rather lucky on my stint on the trading desk making good money (once I made $58,000 in about 50 seconds). One day I was trying to score large on some derivatives called "options" on a Big Medical/Health Care company in the U.S. and the stock got unexpectedly halted. News came out of an F.B.I. raid on the corporate headquarters relating to illegal billing practices and the stock reopened the next morning with my options in the dumper. Worse still the options expired that day worthless. It may not sound like a big deal but It added a few grey hairs to my head that day since I was riding (very) high and lost personal and client money.

• Preston
    Preston

I posted this a while back...got some laughs...

• under74
    under74

Right before I started college I worked at Target...didn't last long. I got sick of the floor manager coming up to me accusing me of chewing gum. When I quit the manager told me it didn't matter if I was in college she said "quiting Target now will ruin your chances in the future." Anytime I need a good laugh I think of those words.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Actually, I had a similar experience at Target and walked out one night after two years, which I understand got me blacklisted from working at the company. Big deal, right? In the mean time I went to and graduated college, and guess what? All kinds of good corporate jobs in my field keep appearing at Target Corp, Target.com, etc!

• under74
    under74

wow, you made it through two years in that hell hole? I think I new I was gonna have to leave after the orientation...you know, where they make you sit through those safety videos and then make you go have a urine test...all that trouble for a crap job.

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Truth be told, I had alot of good times there. I got my hands on the keys to the electrical room and used it to have some fun of a carnal sort with the receptionist!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hi, Missy! Welcome to the board and as far as dumb topics for threads............if a thread about bowel movements can get four pages..........well, use your own judgement on that one! LOL!

My worst job experience so far has been sharing a personal, private conversation with a "friend" on the job and having him turn around and tell the boss what I said about her and getting terminated for it, after four years of having a totally clean personnel file.

Terri

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Now that's something that I've almost had forget !!! Funny to remember it ...

I was just 17, I've found that first real supposed interesting job for a month. I guess that I haven't been choosed by the woman who was leading the departement I was, cause she acted weird with me from the start ...

Actually she wouldn't give me anything to do all day long ... And come to see me at 3PM to 4PM to give a job that I had to do in emergency in knowing that she wanted it all done before 5 PM and at this time we didn't have any personnal computer only typing machines with (double auto-print papers for copies) and As I was only working on original official paperwork that already have been fullfiled by someone ... well I didn't really have the right to mess-up. And I did once (the 4th day), I've been able to correcting the original with the machine system but not the copy so there was a line truly messed up on it LOL ... so I've written by hand underneeth what should be understood !!!

OMG !!! after checking I guess ... She got into yelling loud (in the hall - while I'm in the office) What is she doing here ? she have nothing to do all day (not my choice damnit) and she still find ways to messed up when I'm asking her something ? and when at my door : You're not gonna stay very long here believe me !

Ok ... well ... I was thinking geeeez she doesn't like me at all !!! And decided to not care about her (cause she was kind of f*cked up to me, and probably racist, also not one black people in departement but me ... and well she was a bit too much histerical with me especially anyway, it wasn't making any sense but to please herself ...) ... and as I wanted to learn a bit before to live, I've decided to ask my co-workers if I could help them - even if she told me to not ask anything to anyone from the start (but I did instead of now staying doing nothing for the rest of the month or days LOL ...)

And one day a guy came to see me and told me : can you filling all the files that are in this office and all desks (in it) in the wall cupboard that was in that same office. So that's exactly what I did !!! ... (for the details more than 200 files all together and probably more than 2000 in the wall cupboard) ...

A few days later (the wednesday) here he comes in the very ambarrased style telling me :

Corinne where is the red file that was on "this" desk, and the green one that was on this one ? (in knowing that there where way more than one of each color of files on each desk ... I've said every files have been filled in the wall cupboard ... WHAT ? !!! he says ... but I didn't told you to fill those 2 specific once !!! ... So I said : you didn't say anything specific about that, you said ALL the files ... (maybe he didn't expect me to answer or something ?) ... He said I'm not sure of that, cause those files are very important ... So I've said, where is the problem here ? Where is the better place for a file to be but filled, just give me the reference numbers of those files and you'll got them right now ! ...

That's when he said ... But I don't have the references of those files, I've only got the names of the peoples (PIC and SUTOUR ... I still remember those names ... oy oy oy ...) ... So I've said well, we have a little problem then, it will take way longer to find them cause it seems that here you fill your files by reference numbers ... He said No YOU have a probleme !!! ... And went right away to the Leader of the departement to tell that I've messed up ...

A few minutes later from her office about 20 metres from mine I could hear her yelling over me while coming to me ... yelling : This girl is stupid !!! ... Is there something she can do ? ... I don't want her anymore in my department ... and get into that office were I still was telling me ... You ... don't touch anything anymore !!! you're a catastrophe (???) ... I'm going to see the director right now ... You are FIRED understand !!!

I've said well you know I'm sure that before you come back from the director office, I would have find those files back !!! She probably didn't believe me and did what she said ... Meanwhile (less than 20 minutes) just in checking the green and the red files I've found those 2 files ... so when she came back (she was a bit annoyed LOL) ... and said I don't care I got enough with you !!! The director is waiting for you - and take all your personnal stuff cause I don't want to see you anymore !!!

So I took my personnal stuff and went to see the director ... I've explain the all thing to him from the start ... He was a bit disturbed but he just found that the Leader of the department reaction and attitude about me was a bit too much ... and he said Ok I'm gonna give a chance, ... my assistante won't be there the 2 next weeks (hollidays) I was supposed to take an interim but I'll give a chance to prove me your value but only once ... if you mess up once I'll fire you right away is it clear ! ... well it was ...

That's how I became an assistant manager from the start ... and have been recommended for this position by him for my next job ...

So I guess I can say : Thank you B*TCH ! ...

LOL telling this story still makes me laugh actually it's always good to remember it damnit !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit