I donated blood today at a local blood drive and...

by stichione 14 Replies latest watchtower medical

• stichione
    stichione

Thank you all for your encouraging remarks. Many JWs probably do want do give blood, albeit clandestine. They just need that initial push.

• missy04
    missy04

stichione,

My doctor told me I am anemic..I think that causes low iron,..right? I know..I should know that lol.

~Sarah

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Good for you stitchione!

Has anyone here donated blood while still a jw?

I have been wanting to donate blood but I have some questions to ask those of you who have given blood.

1. Do you have to know your blood type first?

2. Do they test you for your blood type and let you know what it is?

3. Where typically can you donate blood? Red Cross? Hospitals?

4. Do they really pay you for your blood?

5. If you have a rare type of blood will they hound you for more? I had a friend who was always getting calls to come in and donate because she had a rare blood type, I don't think I want to be bothered like that.

• blondie
    blondie

1. Do you have to know your blood type first?

No, they will type it for you. If you are approved as a donor, the Red Cross gives you a card the size of a credit card with that info on it.

2. Do they test you for your blood type and let you know what it is?

See above; more importantly, they give you a sheet with 39 questions on it about your health and travel history.

3. Where typically can you donate blood? Red Cross? Hospitals?

In our area the RC has 3 city locations, spaced out to be convenient. They set up mobile stations through businesses and government offices.

There is a website that you can use to set up an appointment and for further info.

http://www.redcross.org/donate/give/

4. Do they really pay you for your blood?

The RC does not pay. FDA rules say that blood for transfusions cannot be bought.

5. If you have a rare type of blood will they hound you for more? I had a friend who was always getting calls to come in and donate because she had a rare blood type, I don't think I want to be bothered like that.

I am O positive and I have never been contacted by them except to confirm an appointment I initiated. In the case of very rare blood and where death is a real eventuality without it, I can see them calling you. But I don't imagine they would "hound" you as a organizational policy. I don't like to characterize an organization by one individual.

• ColdRedRain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit