What is your favorite silent film, and why?

by avishai 38 Replies latest social entertainment

• avishai
    avishai

I really think silent film is a lost art that is still somewhat valid. My favorite is Metropolis.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Silent film? Can't remember ever seeing one.

Any you care to recommend?

DY

• Preston
    Preston

The Crowd (1928) by King Vidor http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018806/combined

• avishai
    avishai

I've alwas wanted to see that one, Preston, especially with the simillar, tragic end of the lead actor, James Murray.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I have never seen one...However I was watching Dumb and Dumber and my son hit the mute button ran to the bathroom and threw the remote in the toilet. Needless to say the remote didn't work so I was like whatever I will just watch it like this. It was still funny! I told my husband what happened and he laughed walked up to the TV push the volume button and the sound came back on. One of my blonde moments. Funny thing is though I am not blonde!

Does that count as a silent movie?

Brooke WI

• avishai
    avishai

Sorry, dp.

• avishai
    avishai

It drives me nuts that fully one third of all of flim history is largely ignored. And most of it is GONE! MISSING!! Cleopatra, with Theda Bara, the number one movie the year it came out? Gone.

Some of these movies are crazy good. But with our consumerist, "new" "latest thing" culture, much of it is lost.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I'm quite fond of "Birth of a Nation" with Lillian Gish (1915). She was an amazing actress and lived to be 99 years old!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I ADORE silent films!!!!!!!

Let's see.....I like

The General (1927), Greed (1924), Tess of the Storm Country (1922), Down to the Sea in Ships (1923), Camille (1921), Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1921) and any other Rudolph Valentino movie, I like Charlie Chaplin's The Kid (1921), and I even like the Great Dictator which was made when the whole silent format was dead. I've got a bunch of these on video that I watch from time to time, but I'm still desperately searching for Gloria Swanon's Zaza (1923) which would actually help me figure out a slang word that existed in the 1920s.

I also have copies of some old Edison films from 1898-1906.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

The Perils of Pauline! a must see.. that poor pauline! she never got her man lmao

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit