How would you answer this?

by NewLight2 27 Replies latest jw friends

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

This is an e-mail that I recieved regarding one of my web pages. I thought that I'd let the "dude" see some of your answers! I will e-mail him this URL for his answer. Don't let me down you guys!! ;-)) NewLight2 This is his email to me: Re: Masonic Symbols and the
    Watchtower Society "Dude where or even better who did you run into to get such a whacked point of view. that building is not a new one, it was a movie theater. Those symbols were probably there when the building was purchased. and as they believe religion is an ongoing learning they may not have been aware at the time of the symbolism's. the masons call no affiliation with the witnesses, or vica-versa. I have seen newly built assembly halls that were built by witnesses and that stuff does not I repeat NOT show up on them. Now let me ask you something, are you upset because members of your family joined up with the witnesses? If so why? was this country built on the belief of freedom of religion, or was it just your religion that needs to be free? In 2 Kings it says "Judge not lest yee be judged the same." Just thought you needed to hear that. Look foward to your comments on the freedom of religion or anything else you might want to rant about." "

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Am I missing something? He's right. There aren't any masonic symbols in new KH and the stuff in the Stanley Theater has been there long before the JW's refurbished it.

• Odrade
    Odrade

first of all, everything you write is a "rant?" Haha, that's some great labelling.

Second, the Stanley Theatre (I assume that's what he's refering too?) was meticulously renovated. Wall carvings and paintings were removed or painted over, and what they wanted to keep was carefully restored. So if there are symbols, they are either rough coincidences, or deliberately preserved. I know at one point there was some brou-ha-ha about fleur-de-lis on the seating row ends, but I don't remember if it was because they left them or removed them. Anyone have pictures? I do, but can't locate them right now.

Before the renovation, though, the Stanley was filled with symbols from myth, literature and the arts. I think it very likely that some of the design either was or resembled Masonic symbols.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I remember touring the Stanley Theatre back in my teens.... and watching the twinklie star lights on the ceiling... I loved it. It was defnitely the prettiest JW place I had been, of course that was because it wasn't originally theirs.

• undercover
    undercover

Isn't the Stanley Theater the place that has(had) the huge mural of Jesus on horseback with sword in hand as if riding to do battle(or something like that?)

If JWs are admonished to not have pictures and paintings of Jesus in their homes so as to not be idolatrous, then why is it the WTS has this huge painting so prominently displayed in their showcase theater? (or did. Did they sell the theater?)

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Here is the page the the email was referring to:
    A Winged Solar Disk On a JW Assembly Hall,Queens, New York
    "http://www.geocitiescom/newlight_2/JW_QueensAssemHall.html">
    http://www.geocitiescom/newlight_2/JW_QueensAssemHall.html

Whether or not the WT removed the symbols is not the point. The fact remains that the Watchtower Society was perfectly content to hold Assemblies in that building WHILE on the outside there WERE "pagan" symbols!

• el jarocho mayor
    el jarocho mayor

I think that the reasoning of the WTBS to hold meetings and /or assemblies where there were pagan symbols is that for the time the building is being used for the worship of Jehovah, its considered a kingdom hall, and a house of worship for Jehovah. Growing up in Chicago, our District assemblies were held at Sportsmans Park, and Hawthorne Race Track. Both were Horse racing tracks where gambling takes place. But we were constantly reminded that as long as the assembly was going on that they were houses of worship.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Wonder if he would care to comment on the masonic symbols that used to appear on front of all the old Watchtowers magazines and on the front of the 7 studies? Or why they used to wear the masonic cross and crown badge? ..perhaps he'd rather not.

Brummie

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

He doesn't sound like a Witness. He sounds like somebody who's just upset because you appear to pointing out the flaws in another religion. That upsets some people.

Most people don't realize that Jehovah's Witnesses aren't a religion in the standard sense of the word. They're a destructive cult, severing family ties, ruining people's careers and lives and futures. Most religions don't take such control over their adherent's lives. It's one thing to make fun of a fat kid, but it's an entirely different thing to point out why people might want to look elsewhere to satisfy their spiritual need. Poking fun for it's own sake isn't necessarily a good thing, but helping people learn the truth about the Watchtower definitely is.

Dave

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

Good point Dave/AA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit