Can't post pictures

by StarTrekAngel 19 Replies latest forum tech-support

• cappytan
    cappytan
    wifibandit: I host images on www.imgur.com  

My place of employment blogs imgur so I hate it when people use that site. (I'm sure I'm not the only one.)

• wifibandit
    wifibandit
    Are they also blocking it when it is within a Post, not just a link?
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Are they also blocking it when it is within a Post, not just a link?

It's hit and miss. Sometimes it's blocked, sometimes it's not.

• millie210
    millie210
    Hey - I did it!

• Simon
    Simon

You don'e have to have the image posted - if it's included from your local machine then it will be uploaded with the post and extracted by the system so the end result is the same as if you link to an image hosted somewhere.

There is a size limit though so it only works with images upto a reasonable size - it's no use trying to upload a raw 20Mb image off a camera, that would need to be uploaded elsewhere first.

• bohm
    bohm

Simon: I am having problems posting some images in a reasonable resolution on this thread: 

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/84190001/intcal13-dataset-best-evidence-know-c14-dating

The images are only about 50kb, but the text is very fuzzy. I just checked and the native images look okay. I have tried to upload them on the forum and to an external site and you can see both results on the thread. I wonder if this is me doing something wrong or if it is fixable

• James Brown
    James Brown

Hello BigMack

• Simon
    Simon
    The images are only about 50kb, but the text is very fuzzy. I just checked and the native images look okay. I have tried to upload them on the forum and to an external site and you can see both results on the thread

This is a little tricky to explain but here goes...

The original images are extracted and stored in their full size but when someone views the post the images are served in a size to fit the width of the post on their display. If the image is already small enough to fit then it isn't resized but otherwise it get's shrunk to fit.

The reason for this is to prevent large images having to load and slow the client down (both downloading and rendering). Suppose for instance that someone has linked to a 20Mb super-high-res image of earth from space ... on a desktop and cable modem it may not be noticeable but on a mobile phone with cellular data it kills it. With the version above they may get a 50kb image instead - perfectly sized for their device. Everyone is happy.

Well, almost everyone ...

It all works great for photo's and info-graphics but when you have text it can become less readable. I think the solution is for me to add a zoom option. That way if the images has been reduced to fit you'll be able to click on it to see the original full size one (it can display the size and dimensions to protect mobile users by giving them a choice).

Hope that explains the 'why' and how I'll fix it. It's nothing you're doing wrong and any images you've already added will automagically get the zoomable treatment when I update the script.

• talesin
  • talesin
    talesin

Using Google Chrome, you just hit the Picture Icon, then select "Choose File" to upload from the picture folder on your pc.  Other browsers may have a different process.

:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit