i need some proof for evolution

by crizlee 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Leo

Gnarly line of work dudette. <-------------- Dated myself haven't I? Like I hadn't already with that blatant Captain Caveman rip-off. Please, Please, please don't tell the lawyers at Hanna Barbara. ;)

I'm not surprised with that being your specialty. JWD definitely benefits from your expertise. And now I know better not to be going around acting like the father of the lead actress in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Alan

I'm in complete agreement with you. Denying an explanation that actually helps you to understand even more, just because of emotion/religion, is foolish. And yes, biologists still have no definite leads on the abiogenesis of life. The only kind of "fossils" most likely to be found that far back, are clues within the structure of the genetic machinery.

Merry Part

• TD
    TD

Sasquatch,

Again, I'm glad you've shared all this info. I'm curious did they manage to get a viable female and male Cama? Are they even more exceptional in that they are also fertile?

I don't think they know yet. Right now, there are only 3 Camas in existence (2 males, 1 female) and I don't think the female is old enough to be bred. It's also doubtful whether the project will continue.

What they were hoping to achieve was a creature with the soft fur and pleasant disposition of the Llama --only bigger. What they got instead was a creature with the coarse fur and mean dispostion of the camel --only smaller.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Sterility continues to be the delimiting factor as to what constitutes a "kind." This phenomenon makes possible, through the test of sterility, the determining of the boundaries of all the "kinds" in existence today. Through this natural test of fertilization it is possible to uncover the primary relationships within animal life and plant life. For example, sterility presents an impassable gulf between man and the animals.

A phenomenon that demonstrates the absurdity of these claims is that of "ring species", the most famous of which includes the herring gull and lesser black-backed gull. These two birds are both found in Britain and even share nesting grounds, although they never interbreed. However, if you follow the herring gull population westward around the world, you will find that they gradually become a bit less like the British herring gulls and a bit more like the black-backed gulls, although at each stage, the birds are sufficiently similar to their neighbours to interbreed. This ring continues right around the world ending back in Britain with the lesser black-backed gull.

So are they different species? They would certainly be considered so if the intermediates weren't there. In fact, the only really extraordinary thing about ring species is that the intermediates are still alive.

(Poorly paraphrased from Richard Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale and A Devils Chaplain)

• Gordy
  • Kaethra
    Kaethra

My brother has been trying to get my mom to read 'The Beak of the Finch'. (We just came back from the Galapagos and I guess that's why he thought of it.) I'm curious as to why, as from the brief reviews I have read on it, it seems to support evolution, but at a much faster rate than previously thought. Guess I'm trying to figure out where my brother's head is. He is still jw, but he was never super-zealous. (there's a word you only hear in jw circles!) Has anyone read this book?

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

I kill threads too.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Hi Kaethra,

I haven't read that particular book, so I can't help much there sorry. But there's a few books for the general audience written by Steven Jay Gould like Wonderful Life and The Panda's Thumb that you might also find interesting.

TD

What they got instead was a creature with the coarse fur and mean dispostion of the camel --only smaller.

HaHa! My folks got a whammy as well. I'm going to try and keep myself updated on the Cama. I'd like that line to continue on. Evidently somewhere along the primate to human line, there was a fusion of two chromosomes into one, with us getting the lower chromosome count.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit