Xmas Shopping -- Privacy Alert!

by Bendrr 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Now that I have your attention....

As you buy Xmas gifts, you'll undoubtedly be asked by some retailers for your phone number and address.

If you're not having the item delivered, you don't have to give your personal info in order to make the purchase.

PERIOD!!!

Oh sure, they'll pressure you. I once had a salesperson try and refuse a sale until I pointed out to him that I was profit and he was overhead and my info was private.

They sell your phone number and address to telemarketers and junk mailers.

Don't give the info y'all! They can't refuse the sale. If the salesperson or cashier tries, call for a manager and watch them squirm.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Mike.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Good info Mike ! I'm amazed at the number of people who just automatically give them whatever info they are asking for, like its just part of the process and then complain that they are bothered by telemarketers or junk mail !

I bought some appliances the other night. I wrote a check and my driver's license number isn't on my checks so she had to write it on. Another clerk who was hovering around told her that she also had to write my date of birth on my check as well. I instructed the clerk who was working with me that she was not to put my birthdate on my check and the other nosey guy says that it's their policy. WTH?

It's getting nuts out there.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

YEAH YOU ARE RIGHT.

They pulled that on me at K MART the other day.

This gal asks for my zip code and phone number. She tied it in with my debit card as if it is necessary.

I asked her why and she stumbled around a bit and said it is about some advertizing we will do.

I said "well I don't give out that kind of information" That is when she finally said "well you don't have to"

Outoftheorg

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am on the do not call telemarketing list, and we get no telemarketers anymore. Yay! They can't call. So, if you give out your phone number, and it's sold to a marketing company, they cannot call you.

I give my zip code and am not afraid to do it. Who cares? I haven't had one ask for my phone number.

• Princess
    Princess

Different stores ask for different reasons. Linens and Things sends coupons if you give them your number, the more you shop, the more you get. Toys R Us just bombards you with ads so I won't give them any info. Bath and Body Works sends me coupons and cards for free stuff.

Grocery stores don't get any info out of me, and I'm sick of the pile of coupons/crap receipts they give me with my regular receipt. Irritating.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Linens and Things sends coupons if you give them your number, the more you shop, the more you get.

They ask for my zip code, but not my phone number. Or is this a new thing. I get lots of their coupons though, and use them too.

At the grocery store, I tell them I don't want the extra coupons, and leave them for them to throw out.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

I don't mind giving them my zip code- they use that for their demographics info and can't do anything with it.

Mulan- do you have to "re-up" on the Do Not Call list in your state? Here it's only good for 2 years I think and then you have to redo it or you are off the list and they can start contacting you again. I wish they'd do a "forever" thing. And now they have the electronic -taped calls so that you can't tell a live person to take you off their list. GRRR

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Mulan- do you have to "re-up" on the Do Not Call list in your state?

I don't know, but I will re-up if they do.

We got a call a few weeks ago and I blasted the guy for calling and he said it didn't apply to businesses (our phone is a business line). I said "the Hell it doesn't" and I am going to report you. He hung up. They have to have their numbers show on Caller ID now, so I called back, and was told it was a mistake and that it does apply to businesses. Lots of apologies.

The ones who can still call you are ones you have bought from in the past, or contributed to before. Those are few and far between, and not as irritating as the constant calls we used to get.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    I am on the do not call telemarketing list, and we get no telemarketers anymore. Yay! They can't call. So, if you give out your phone number, and it's sold to a marketing company, they cannot call you.

I still wouldn't give it out, Mulan. The do-not-call list is hard to enforce and too many telemarketers try to create loopholes or just plain disregard the law. You're better off refusing to give any info whatsoever.

Mike.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Well............I just haven't had anyone ask for my phone number. Just my zip code. I see no harm in that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit