jw meetings and obedience to the society

by boy@crossroads 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    Mary, WTG!! Apostasy making sense? Their heads must have exploded. :) I truly hope that your comment 'began a good work in them'

I know it did with at least one of them..........he disassociated himself last year after he (literally) told one of the elders to f*ck off. This was in response to the elder's comment to him that his hours in Service were appalling low and that he obviously "didn't have an appreciation for all the spiritual food that Jehovah has provided for us" and did he want to see his children die at Armageddon? Asshole.

• jws
    jws
    In what ways does each of the jw meetings play a part in instilling obedience to the mother organization? or maybe put another way, how does each weekly jw meeting contribute to the overall jw mindset?

The 5 (or 3 times a week) meetings plus field service keep you busy so that you don't have time to be distracted by life going on around you.

At the Watchtower study and book study, you want to have your magazine or book all highlighted so that people know you've studied. So, that's some time out of your week. If you're in the ministry school, then you have parts to prepare from time to time. And there's field service. In order to be prepared to talk about the magazines, you should have read the magazines. Don't forget your personal home Bible study too.

Take some guy who works all day and gets dirty and sweaty. He comes home at night, has to shower, change into a suit, go to a hall for 2 hours, travel to/from the hall and arrive a little early and stay a little bit. It's not just 2 hours out of his night, it's 4 or 5. Bookstudy, 3 or 4 hours. By the time you add in field service, Sunday meetings and study, you've probably comitted about 20 hours/week to this. That's enough hours for a part-time job.

And the meetings give you face-to-face time with other JWs. You want to try to fit into this group, so you learn to act like them. You make friends you don't want to dissapoint, so you try to behave so you don't lose them. You are told these people really love you and are true friends. You meet and see them several times a week to help you stay friends.

It's all a way of excluding other things that may influence your life.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Did you ever notice also, that the JW's preach how to resist "peer pressure" but they are the worst at putting peer, and elder pressure on everyone? They push and push and push, very subltly at times to get their way. It's appaling.

• shamus
    shamus

Going through the motions of meetings is like mental mastrubation. NO thought process, no brains needed.... no insight other than what 'the corporation' says should be answered.

It's like chanting the same old bullshit day in, day out... until you actually believe it. But people don't think they're a cult.... mmmkay.

• ko38
    ko38

wow, this thread has really showed me how brainwashed i was and i guess still am to an extent.i keep feeling as though i need someone or something to lead me.im still very confused about salvation.i wish i had the answers

• gerbils
    gerbils

My house mate often gets involved in open discussion meeting with her church, where believers and non-believers question Christianity, and see if they can get any suitable answers. I think that it's a fantastic idea, and I wish Jehovahs Witnesses did it too...I have a huge catalogue of hot questions I need answers to!

• shamus
    shamus

ko38,

The Botchtower corporation just loooves to give you simple, easy answers all in they're books that you buy, and, with the aid of 'Jehovahs' spirit, you can 'understand' it, and if you can't understand it, then you need to change your life more, so that you can get 'Jehovahs' spirit, so that you can understand it, but if you still can't understand it, then you need to really go to the BOE and secretly confess that you mastrubate... because that's probably why you don't understand the corporations simple teachings... because you don't have 'Jehovahs' spirit, because you mastrubate or touch your pee pee... once you do that, and they pray for you, you must be able to understand it... and if you can't, then you just have to rely of 'Jehovah' to give you a "Ray Of Light" so that you can understand it... but first, you need to stop touching your private parts, because on the day of Jehovahs anger, you may be concealed during his day of wrath, but probably not, because every human has mastrubated, and you're so guilty of sin.

I was just talking in "Watchtower" circles there.

The thing that you need to keep in mind, and that you've already done, is find out what the corporation really is, free your mind, then seek answers about spirituality and religion. The Watchtower always comes up with the slogan "You have teachings of everlasting life... where else would we go?". They try to shame you back into it by making you confused. Remember, they programmed you to have all the answers! Most people do not have all the answers. That's something for you to figure out.

• Triple A
    Triple A
    The 5 (or 3 times a week) meetings plus field service keep you busy so that you don't have time to be distracted by life going on around you.

I always relate this to what pharoah did to the Jews in Egypt. NIV Exodus 5:6-9 6 That same day Pharaoh gave this order to the slave drivers and foremen in charge of the people: 7 "You are no longer to supply the people with straw for making bricks; let them go and gather their own straw. 8 But require them to make the same number of bricks as before; don't reduce the quota. They are lazy; that is why they are crying out, 'Let us go and sacrifice to our God.' 9 Make the work harder for the men so that they keep working and pay no attention to lies."

The WTS or Pharoah keeps the rank and file so busy they are not able to find the real Truth or read the Bible for themself. All they know is the lie, since they never have a chance to really look at what the proof text are actually saying.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    we actually brainwashed ourself going out in service repeating the same things over and over expressing these same views (theirs) at every door when someone would Listen

How many times did you hear "We go out in service not to change others but to insure that we don't change"

Going through the motions of meetings is like mental mastrubation. NO thought process, no brains needed....

I've always found mental masturbation to be lots harder than physical! Maybe you just need better fantasies! :-)

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

The busier you are in the "truth" the less time you have to question the things you are taught to take for granted.

Like many here, I was a Society man through and through but since I cut off all association with the congregation, I have come to a lot of different conclusions about such basic doctrines as blood, the importance of Christ, the Great Crowd, what we need to do to have a relationship with God, what it means to be a Christian, etc., etc.

Eyeslice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit