How many of you still hope to live forever?and where,? based on what?

by ko38 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ko38
    ko38

call me crazy but from reading the bible ,assuming one believs it its pretty plain at least the earth will stand to times indefinate.please if you have an opinion please give the support to it.

thanks in advance.

I DONT KNOW NUTTIN.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi ko38,

I don't.

As to the Bible:

(1) I'm not aware of any Bible text suggesting individual eternal life on the present earth. All the texts JWs use to back up this belief actually refer to something else, either (a) the idea that Yhwh would eventually free ancient Israel from its enemies and/or its own wicked rulers and allow the faithful or meek and their offspring (which implies that individual people keep dying) to enjoy the land or, in some cases, the wider earth (e.g. Psalm 37); or (b) the much later idea of a new creation following the complete destruction of the universe (2 Peter).

(2) Most Christian texts (NT) about a future hope, beyond death or through resurrection, clearly refer to something "heavenly" or "spiritual" (e.g. 1 Corinthians 15). Whatever the representation of it, the JW idea of "two hopes" is completely unbiblical.

(3) Some texts, especially John's writings, apply "eternal life" to the present condition of believers, e.g. John 5:24: "anyone who hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and does not come under judgment, but has passed from death to life."

Instead of trying to build one consistent doctrine out of a patchwork of "Bible verses", as the WT does, I think it's better to read each text for itself, in its natural context: in this way you'll get a number of different "Bible views" and you can then try to make your own synthesis if you still feel like it...

• wizedup
    wizedup

Seeing as how 99% of the WTS views are now debunked in my eyes, although I loved the idea of life on earth in paradise, I have come to no conclusions. The reason being is that we can make anything biblical say what we want it to, hence all the different religious ideas. I have found comfort in not knowing for sure what to hope for and in giving myself over to whatever His will is for me. It feels good to see myself "holding his hand" even if I don't know for sure where he's taking me. Where ever we end up either has to be better, or it won't matter anyway. I'll have loved the "walk".

• avishai
    avishai

Yes I do HOPE to. On the planet of open-minded stewardesses.

Based on the fact that that hope is every bit as valid and based in reality as the dubs ideas

• Valis
    Valis

Yes, in the Playboy Mansion, because if there is a god Hugh Heffner gets my vote.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• JH
    JH

I find it sad that humanity can't even understand God's word. There are so many religions using the bible and making it say whatever they want.

I hope to live forever, but up to now 100% of people die.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

one session at my therapist a couple years ago was about this topic.

its been hard realizing that someday i'm going to die. i was taught since i was an infant that more than likely i'd live forever unless i had an accident or something. so in ways the world would never understand i've had to come to grips with my mortality..and it looks stupid to type it but it was a real issue that i had to get help from a therapist on.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

My grandmother "knew" that she would never die. She's in her 70's now and her heath is failing, compression fractures in her spine; hearing; sight; simply put, she's falling apart. For the first time she has realized that she will die. So do I hope to live forever? No. Why? Because I don't want to be in the same position as my grandmother, who has lived the last 30 years of her life "knowing" that she won't die, only to get older and be surprised that in fact, yes, I will. If I do, I'll consider it a bonus!

Kwin

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Seeing as how 99% of the WTS views are now debunked in my eyes, although I loved the idea of life on earth in paradise, I have come to no conclusions. The reason being is that we can make anything biblical say what we want it to, hence all the different religious ideas. I have found comfort in not knowing for sure what to hope for and in giving myself over to whatever His will is for me. It feels good to see myself "holding his hand" even if I don't know for sure where he's taking me. Where ever we end up either has to be better, or it won't matter anyway. I'll have loved the "walk".

I think these are beautiful thoughts - I am not sure anymore - although I do absolutely believe that God has intended life beyond what we have now. I do accept the Bible - and hope that I can live in a way to attain salvation - but the WT has made it hard to know what to believe exactly anymore - Once we debunked the WT - now we have to reprogram - and it took me 30 years to get where I am - hope the de-bunking is shorter -- Jeff

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

sure... somewhere on the pleiades. or what's their name? playmates? hmm... i forgot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit