Is it worse when they say it or worse when they don't?

by Sirona 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sirona
    Sirona

We met a JW at the supermarket.

He is the guy who my hub pioneered with for a few years. They were "big shots" together when they went where the "need is greater" back in the early nineties.

So when we saw him he did that REALLY ANNOYING thing. He asked "so what are you spending your time on now?"

Now I've been asked this before by JWs. I met an upstart young elder (33ish) myself not long ago....I remember when he was new and dating me and now he's saying to me that I'm spending my time badly...by inference saying that I'm wasting my precious time studying for a degree and being successful and MAKING A LIFE. Just a "so how are you spending your time?" with the insinuation that I'm spending my time "eating and drinking for tomorrow we are to die" and HE is spending his time being a faithful Minister of Jehovah.

Again today we met this guy who asked the same question. My hub responded...."I'm working at xyz place now. I'm an xyz" (I'm not telling you my hub's profession but it is pretty impressive to a window washing JW). The guy just looked at us smugly. I could almost see his brain ticking over. I felt like saying "just come out with it! tell us you think we're f**king doomed and your precious "jehovah" is going to see to it that we're mince meat come the big day!"

As we walked away, my hub said the same thing.... just come out with it! If you dubs are so bloody "faithful" why not be honest and tell us what you actually think? Maybe you know you'll get more back than you bargained for.

Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

Ok so that was a rant. It sounds like I'm overreacting, but you know when you know what someone is thinking?

Sirona

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

everyone who has exited knows the " jw speak" and its funny to have it used on us. like we dont understand what they are REALLY saying..

• Princess
    Princess

I totally understand your rant, that stuff is irritating as hell. Witnesses don't talk to me so I haven't experienced that scenario. Given the opportunity I would launch into a long story of exactly what I'm doing now and why it's 100 X better than when I was a dub.

But that's just me.

Shake it off and carry on. You know your life is better for it.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

I think another reason they ask that question is because they want a validation that all the shit they put themselves through in the org is worth it. If you left the "Lie", dropped out of school, got a divorce, and became a homeless crack smoking prostitute brother elder would have something he could use to justify his life. The fact that your defection went a LOT better than that proves that you made the right choice and that he might not have (Quiet as it's kept EVERY Jehovah's Witness considers leaving at least once in their life.)

• starfish422
    starfish422

Ooooooooh, I almost wish one would talk to me just so that I could get asked that question. I would flash them the biggest, 40-megawatt smile I have, and proceed to tell them the full, rich extent of the happiness currently brimming in my life, thanks to a fantastic hubby, two gorgeous children, and wonderful friends and family.

• Odrade
    Odrade

sometimes I think they have to be nasty and disapproving of your successful and happy (and fun) lifestyle, or they would have to admit that they are unhappy working their manual labor-paycheck-to-paycheck job that they "chose" to "serve Jehovah."

O

• Badger
    Badger

(sir)

Neither...It's like getting gummed by a newt. They have no clue what they're talking about. The more enthusiastic you seem to do what you do, the less leverage they have. Like seeing an ex on the street...while you and your model current slink into the five-star.

• gumby
    gumby
    I felt like saying "just come out with it! tell us you think we're f**king doomed and your precious "jehovah" is going to see to it that we're mince meat come the big day!"

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit