Is the word "bulletin" negative?

by crizlee 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Odrade
    Odrade

haha about the Papal bull, fuuuuny stuff.

I remember a number of years ago I was told about the bulletin/information board thing. My dad was a real hard-core organizational procedure guy, and I was into minutiae. So when they changed the little fancy sign above the "information board" I asked why. The answer was that "bulletin" suggests that anything posted there is an announcement directly from HQ, but an INFORMATION board gave them a little more lattitude on what could be posted there.

Swear it's true. How nit-picky can they get?

O

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Actually, I don't believe the objection has anything to do with the etymology of the word Bulletin itself.

I think that the objection is with the connotation that a Bulletin Board is a place where ANYONE may post a bulletin which itself might be informational or commercial in nature.

The brothers don't want anyone gettting any ideas that there is a bulletin board in the hall or they might assume that they may freely post something there as is the case with most open BBs.

By referring to it as an Information Board it reenforces the idea that what is posted there is important information for the congregation and it also in a subtle way reinforces that such information flows from them to the congregation and not the other way around.

Having said all of that I have never heard this to be a big problem and i would think that any nimcampoop who pointed out such an error is nothing but a pompous idiot high on his own sense of self-importance and righteousness.

-eduardo

• under74
    under74

crizlee- 6 months seems like a long long time when you're in hell, but you can make it. It's fantastic you're doing so well in school. If it were me, I'd do college. That's just me though. College was a good experience for me, hard, but good. Your parents are willing to let you go to a local college on their tab? Well...maybe there's some hope for them coming around, right? But I wouldn't put college, leaving the JWs or moving forward with your life on hold once you're legally, financially, and mentally able to. Stay strong and don't let the little bitches at the congregation get you down.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Oh yes, I can see his point now,***

km 9/95 p. 6 Maintaining a Balanced View of Computer Technology ***

"Other Serious Pitfalls: As outlined on page 17 of the August 1, 1993, issue of The Watchtower, connecting a computer to an electronic bulletin board can open the wayto serious spiritual dangers. Just as an unscrupulous individual can place on a bulletin board a virus?a program designed to corrupt and destroy computer files?apostates, clergymen, and persons seeking to corrupt others morally or otherwise can freely place their poisonous ideas on bulletin boards. Unless a bulletin board, even one labeled "JW Only," is properly supervised, with its use being limited to those who are mature, faithful servants of Jehovah, it could expose Christian users to "bad associations." (1 Cor. 15:33) The Society has received reports that such so-called private networks have been used not only to speculate regarding spiritual matters but also to give bad advice, spread gossip and false information, plant negative ideas, raise questions and doubts that subvert the faith of some, and disseminate private interpretations of Scripture. On the surface, some information may appear to be interesting and informative, and yet it may be laced with poisonous elements. Christians look to "the faithful and discreet slave" for timely spiritual food and for clarifications. (See The Watchtower of July 1, 1994, pages 9-11.) A Christian has the serious responsibility to safeguard his faith against all corrupting influences and, basic to that, should always know with whom he is associating.?Matt. 24:45-47; 2 John 10, 11."

(Never have got the quotes thingy to work right!)

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I remember the edict coming down, it seems way back in the '70's that "bulletin" was no longer acceptable and it now had to be called an "information board"...can't remember the illogic behind that ruling. I do remember my dad, who didn't like uncalled for BS, was mad because they made such an issue over it. He wondered why they didn't come out with an instruction talk for the brothers on how to pronounce the word "organization". The vast majority from DO's down called it, the "Organ-Eye-zation".

We also got a talk about how "bolo" ties were unacceptable. Pissed off a lot of old-timers.

-BONEZZ

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

isn't "bullshit" the root word of "bulletin"?

~Hill (had to ask class)

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I actually recall hearing the "papal bull" explanation as well, although I wasn't able to find it in the Watchtower Library. It would be interesting if anyone could turn up anything the WTS actually wrote on this subject.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

dude, my whole life is a mixed metaphor.

laters

kaykay_mp

• ThisGuy04
    ThisGuy04

no "bolo" ties?!?!

well, that settles it...I'm never going back now!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

<picks up revolver and rotates barrel>

Bullet-in, Bullet-out.

It's just too confusin.

Country Girl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit