How do you get them out of your head

by what_Truth? 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

about 7 years ago I was woken out of a sound sleep by a deafening siren and a blinding light. Startled my first thought was "Holy shit, Armageddon has come I'm about to die". The truth was, of course, that a fire truck had passed VERY close to my second story apartment to put out a fire in a neighboring building. I realised this rather quickly and went back to bed. These thoughts confused me though. I had learned and accepted that the whole JW doctrine was bogus long before that happened. I also hadn't been to a meeting for 3 years at the point. So why did I still hold on to that irrational beleif at that moment? It made me wonder if the JW's still had their tabs on me somehow. I don't worry about it much because it hasn't happened since. but still I wonder. Could it happen again? Is this kind of thing a common occurance for former JW's? If so how do you get them out of your head once and for all?

• blondie
    blondie

It takes time just like it does for any other kind of abuse, physical, sexual, mental...recovery from spiritual abuse takes the same pathway.

Replacing those thoughts with more positive ones and associating with people that can be good friends.

Love, Blondie

• shotgun
    shotgun

Guess it depends on how long you were in and if you were instructed from infancy up...it attaches to your DNA and its hard to shake. I'm not sure what would need to take place for me to think a God directed armageddon was coming.

about 7 years ago I was woken out of a sound sleep by a deafening siren and a blinding light. Startled my first thought was "Holy shit, Armageddon has come I'm about to die".

Don't worry about sirens and lights...it going to be trumpets and tuba's.

• dabatgaly
    dabatgaly

first of all hi

ill tell you my story i studied on and off 4 20yrs got really depressed cos i couldnt find a partner , again because i thought i couldn't be with anyone who wasnt on the same wave length regarding jehova etc , so i decided to go 4 it, if u can't beat em join em , i think all of us who choose to become jws were looking 4 something a bit of ''fellowship'' i myself wanted and still want an end to world hunger ,war , etc anyhoo i worked full time to support me and the 2 kids did the meetings ,ministry , answered up big time but i ended up falling in love with ''unbeliever'' fessed up after cos i didnt want to be a hypocrite , got dfd , got pregnant , had termination , wanted to die , spoke to samaritans , other christians, finally had to take antidepressants, now learning to live again ,so i guess it really does depend on how much u choose to believed in the religion, how you were brought up if you have or had low self esteem , like do you believe you deserve to die? i thought i did even before i had the termination but i now look back and realise i was brainwashed into thinking that way, i still believe in god because i choose to, but i choose to believe in god through love, because i believe god through love ,his son ,choose to forgive me , something i could never earn.

• Gill
    Gill

Shotgun - ILMAO!

Being in the JW's is a lot like getting stuck in a spider's web.

Have you ever tried to rescue some poor fly that's got stuck. Perhaps a leg or some part of the poor thing will get stuck behind or a bit of sticky web gets stuck to it. It's the same with the JW's but with time you learn to live with it.

Unfortunately your brain's been washed, what can you do?

Slowly you begin to emerge but every so often the crackpot thoughts will also show themselves.

Just laugh them off. After all, if Armageddon does come what the hell can you do about it any way?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Some of the deepest programming we receive as Witnesses is -- fear. I suggest to use it to your advantage by allowing it to teach you.

Take some quit time by yourself and invite the fear. Sit with it non-judgmentally, and really look deep into it. What is fear? How does it manifest in the body? What thoughts accompany it? Allow it to take you deeper into your experience of being. What is at the center of fear, or any emotion for that matter?

Notice there is a pristine awareness observing the fear, which kind of holds the fear, yet which is not touched or tainted by anything. See clearly that you are not the fear, and it has no real power over you, except for what we unknowingly give it.

Of course there is healthy fear: of fire, and large trucks barreling down on us, and such; however there is unnecessary psychological fear that is poison to the body. This fear can still be a great blessing if we use it properly.

j

• talley
    talley

My experience was that I really could not get "them" out if my head until I read Crisis of Conscience and In Search of Crhistian Freedom. both by Ray Franze. It was like a heave weight had been lifted from my shoulders, a weight I was not even aware that I was carrying.

The next "breakthrough" came after reading about Muhamid and then read a translation of the Koran. That stuff was all 'makeeupee" and caused me to look further into Biblical criticism. Put that all together along with my very own life experiences and my personal conclusion is that all "religion" is man made. The only book of the Bible worh reading is Ecclesiastes. Some interesting thoughts and ovservations there.

To sum up "religion"; it is all vanity and a striving after the wind.

For the first time I am enjoying the little things in life and valuing every day.

• joinTHEcult
    joinTHEcult

You just have to trust in god that armageddon isnt near and that we will all be saved for our sins as long as we confess them to our lord

• Bryan
    Bryan

It took me about 5 years to deprogram, though I still have nightmares at times.

And for the bOrg lurkers... no, it's not because I left your cult. I always had these stupid demon nightmares even as a dub. I had one again just last week. I'm not sure I'll ever totally get that crap out of my head.

I think james is right... FEAR is the big bug they put in your head. It helps to control you.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit