Group promotes international friendships among women

by jgnat 11 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

*everybody sing*

"It's a small world after all...."

I discovered this neat association on one of my browsing expeditions today. This is my idea to end war; make friends, one at a time, until there is nobody left to fight. Ladies, do you get the same warm fuzzies I do, about what this group is trying to do? It only costs about $65 Canadian a year to join. I welcome your thoughts.

http://www.womenwelcomewomen.org.uk/

"If only people would learn that experiencing a different lifestyle is interesting, enriching and mind-opening. Too many people regard different as threatening. This suspicion and mistrust causes wars. Women have a gift for making friends, and I know 5W has in its own way made the world a smaller place. It pleases me that ordinary women travel the world, discover the joy of befriending people from very different cultures, and learn about themselves at the same time in our web of international friendship." Frances Alexander, Founder

"It is the people I've met - friends now - from across the oceans, over hills, in valleys beside rivers; the conversations I've had. I've learned to listen and to understand. Frontiers, borders mean nothing when women get together. I have gained the confidence to say what I feel, without embarrassment, to stand tall." SM, England

"5W sure beats sweeping out the creepy crawlies from a back packers' hostel!" (Comment at the Independent World Traveller's Exhibition, UK)

• acsot
    acsot

Great site, jgnat! thanks for posting it.

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

Maybe I am more of a cynic then I'd like too think, but woman can be as mean and nasty - and demanding as another. The minute you don't agree with their agenda for whatever reason {politics} you will feel the casting out real fast.

Think I'll keep my money.

Granny

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab
    This is my idea to end war; make friends, one at a time, until there is nobody left to fight.

I agree with Granny. All of my best friends are women, and let me tell you, their fights make the streets of Najaf look like Tellytubby Land!

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

I think it's a nice, warm idea.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

I like the idea of discovery very much ... (even if women are not supposed to be better than men well it's a very women kind initiativ in fact ... why not ?) ... The only thing is that I wonder: Why money to suscribe regarding the goal of it all and that it should be accessible to everyone (that money is to pay what exactly) ?

• jgnat
    jgnat

My daughter was fond of telling others, "My mom travels in books." My childhood in the West Indies left me with a warm, nostalgic view of other cultures, especially the West Indies and Africa. I have a consuming interest in other cultures, and I engage any visible immigrant in conversation about their food, clothing, music, and their home life. I believe if a country becomes so absorbed in self-interest that it ignores the needs of it's neighbours, they lose out as a nation. I think it damages the national psyche, and hinders their growth. I personally despise American McHotels sprouting up on beaches around the world, offering sun, sand, and Old Home American culture. The beauty of a land is in it's people.

Sure, there are female jerks everywhere. I doubt an organization like this would attract them, though (no personal gain).

An entry fee keeps out the frivolous. $60 is very low.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

An entry fee keeps out the frivolous. $60 is very low.

right ... (in fact - it's about meeting ... better keep the frivolous out).

• rune
    rune

$60 to meet people?

I have a better suggestion. Find a message board with a topic that has a theme you can identify with. Register, post a few times, maybe fling some private messages around. Soon enough you may be able to find instant messenger names and e-mails of people who want to be your friends. Heck, you've even expended a little energy to give you a little common ground with them instead of just 'meeting' someone you have no clue about.

Or you could do Yahoo! Chat, AOL Chat, MSN Chat, etc... well... if there weren't so many people out there just looking to talk about sex and say LOL every sentence that is..... :p

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Rune,

Yeah it's a choice, I guess that in there case it's a question to get into specific projects (and that's good for people who likes to dispose of structured means and project to act ...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit