Potty Tales...

by mrsjones5 5 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I worked when I had my first two kids and my babysitter pottytrained them. With my third child, Shane, I was not working and the pottytraining was down to me, which I dreaded and had a hard time being consistant with his pottytraining routine.

It got pretty bad, with Shane pooping on himself and at one point getting poop on the carpet in his room. Around this time I was also pregnant with my fourth child and my mother decided that she would take the kids for the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy.

Mom and Dad decided that they would get Shane pottytrained. And they did this by using corpral punishment. Anytime Shane pooped or peepeed on himself he would get a whoopin (spanking). Yes I should have spoke up (I was slightly deranged) and told them not to whoop Shane, but I didn't, with the result being that the first time Shane pooped on himself, after he got back from from my parents, he started to cry and got very upset because he thought I was going to whoop him.

Well I was a little upset but it was because my little boy was tramatized and it might make the potty training even worst and I told him that I would never hit him just because he pooped on himself, we weren't going to do that....ever.

So after he pooped on himself, I think the fourth time after he got back, in pure desperation I told Shane that I was upset that he pooped on himself and that if he could just get his poop in the potty it would make Mommie very happy.

And wonder upon wonders, my little boy tells me he has to poop, we run to the bathroom, he poops and looks up at me and says "I made Mommie happy!"

This happened a year ago and my little boy Shane still tells me when he has to poop and he always tell me "I made Mommie happy".

Mrs Jones

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

All children (and dogs) really want is to make their parents happy and get their approval. It's amazing the wonderful results of loving reinforcemnt vs negative reinforcement.

Hugs to your family!

Peace

Brenda

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You're so right Brenda. That's what I got out of it, that all Shane wants to do is please his Mommie, even when he's being naughty. And he really responded to the praise I gave him after he did his business.

Now if I could only figure out how to apply this to my older two (10 year old son and 7 year old girl). lol

Mrs Jones

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

M J.

I have little experience with children. However, I have much experience with dogs and cats.

We took on a year-old cat who had some real issues. She had a real sharp personality. Since she had been dumped in the country, I can only assume it was because of her anger issues. All of her issues and many of her behaviours point to being taken from her mother at too young an age, and not having any other cats to teach her what was acceptable, what was not acceptable and how she was supposed to be.

I have never heard a cat growl with so many syllables and so much inflection, while purring!

It took 6 months of love, gentle but firm reinforced discipline only when necessary (a word or a tap on the forehead or double clap), before we began to see much change. Then she got locked up somewhere in someones garage or shed for 4 days. I just couldn't bring myself to picking up her toys and blanket yet. Then she came home. Scarfed some food, and was absolutely joyous that her toys and binkie were still there! She began to change into a very happy, loving cat. She gets along with the other 2 cats now, and plays with them. Her anger issues still come out sometimes, but she seems to have those under control.

I don't recommend locking your older two up in a shed or garage for 4 days!

However, cause and affect, with praise and attention, are very powerful disciplining tools. So are choices.

Hugs

Brenda

PS I wet the bed until I was 4. My mom bribed me by telling me that if I didn't wet the bed, she would take me to El Paso with her. My older sister was having a baby and my mom was going down to help out. I quit wetting the bed and got to go! Choices.

• Preston
    Preston

When my JW mom decided to toilet (...I just dont like the that word "potty") train her kids she was shocked to discover that when she took us over to the neighbor's yard next door for swimming lessons, her kids were pooping on the neighbor's yard gnomes...

It helps to toilet train your kids...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Too funny guys. Thanks for the laugh.

Mrs Jones

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit