If you could meet (and talk to) any Bible scholar, who would it be?

by euripides 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Raymond Franz and Randy Watters - possibly William Tyndale

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

As mentioned in the Crossan thread, I would much enjoy meeting and chatting with JD Crossan.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

William Barclay for me too. He has come across to me as a very balanced and loving Christian with a wealth of knowledge.

• omegaone
    omegaone

It would have to be E.W.Bullinger who lived in the early 20th century.Published many books and studies that are still considered standards by many scholars.

• blondie
    blondie

How did we miss the obvious, Jesus....

Blondie

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ahh, I think we'd all love to meet Jesus, especially after hearing so much about him second-hand, it would be refreshing to see what he's really like. Or, for some of us, whether he really did or does exist. I would imagine him to be frankly honest, that is, my own impression based on his portrait in Matthew especially, which I would find both refreshing and terrifying....

• euripides
    euripides

Yes I think Matthew's Jesus to be right up there with Luke's Jesus, refreshing yet terrifying. Mark's Jesus gets hungry, tired, cranky, like any wonder worker I suppose: ah but it's a living. John's Jesus is a little ectoplasmic, talks incessantly, and does weird things like walk through walls: that would be the most disconcerting Jesus. Thomas's Jesus and Peter's Jesus are a little more esoteric, but Infancy Narrative Gospel of Thomas's Jesus was to be avoided at all costs!

So, like a cantankerous and stodgy member of AAR/SBL, Kazantzakis's Jesus of his own last temptation would surely upbraid all of today's "modern" scholars for "exacting the tenth of the rue and the cumin" of their own little niche in scholarship, while obviously overlooking the big picture.

• lawrence
    lawrence

Kirsop Lake, Tischendorf, and Thomas Merton.

• euripides
    euripides

Ok I've had more time to think about it, I'd like to meet Julius Wellhausen and Leolaia:-)

• redhotchilipepper
    redhotchilipepper

I agree, Blondie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit