Pls. explain these verses

by ManAtArms 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ManAtArms
    ManAtArms

Hi!

Could anyone kind enough to expound these ff. verses:

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

1Ki 17:21 And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again.
    1Ki 17:22 And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.

Thanks!

• blondie
    blondie

I don't think you chose those scriptures at random and posted them here.

First, most of the people here are ex-JWs, so if you are trying to adjust JW thinking.....

I think you already know what you think they mean...why don't you share it and then we will know what tree you are barking up

Love Blondie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

A couple of recent threads may give you some background for the conclusion you may take. Ultimately it's a matter of personal interpretation, though:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/80742/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/81048/1.ashx

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You could also read my thread on Gehenna, which is the term used in Matthew 10:28 for "hell":

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/71230/1.ashx

The final judgment occurs after the resurrection, so this text is referring to an embodied soul. The "soul" of 1 Kings 17:21-22 is a nephesh, but I'm not sure about what is meant for qarab (cf. Genesis 20:4, 37:18; Exodus 12:9), maybe Narkissos might know the nuance.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

There is no verb qrb here, the verb is shwb (shouv), "come back".

qereb is a noun meaning "inside", "inner parts", "belly" etc.

tashav nephesh hayyeled `al qirbo, "the soul of the boy came back over (in some parts of the MT `al is often confused with 'el, "to, into") his inside (= inside him)."

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ah that explains it. :)

• ManAtArms
    ManAtArms

So does it mean that the soul of the boy left him?

• ManAtArms
    ManAtArms

In

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Does it mean, that soul and body is distinct? Based on what I understand, people could kill only the body, but God could destroy both body and soul in hell.

• jwsons
    jwsons

Sometimes nephesh only means "Life" "life back into his own"

jwsons

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Do you really want someone to explain those verses, or someone to verify your non-jw realisation that the body and soul are different concepts ?

Well, you've read it.

Is your soul unmarried [... the maid at the door (to his heart) said to Peter ..], a virgin [ with no children / works ], or a widow [ once spouse of the Spirit ] - or indeed married, to some other 'word' [ against the Holy spirit ].

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

my covenant which they broke, though I was their husband, says the LORD

take care of your widows so that we may care for those who are widows indeed

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that's what you're asking, you could be right

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit