Author Claims Abraham Lincoln was Gay

by Kenneson 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

There's a new book coming out next year, "Intimate World of Abraham Lincoln," by Dr. C.A. Tripp which claims that Abraham Lincoln was gay. He asserts that Lincoln was predominantly homosexual and only incidentally heterosexual. Since Lincoln was married to Mary Todd and had at least four sons, can we imagine that he only had sex with his wife four times? Seems it would have been more logical to say that Lincoln was bi-sexual. Tripp names Joshua Speed, Billy Greene, Henry C. Whitney, David Dickerson and others as Lincoln's lovers at one time or another. I can't help but wonder if this will tarnish the image of one of America's greatest icons of democracy. See "Was Abe Lincoln gay? The blockbuster book that will change America's history" at

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/49/news-ireland.php

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

Hmm... Was the play he was shot at a musical or something?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The play was "Our American Cousin" starring the comedian/actor Harry Hawk. Although a drama, there was one particularly funny scene that John Wilkes Booth knew would draw laughter. (He was familiar with the play.) He chose this as the opportune time to shoot Lincoln. See

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/allquiet3/reunion/witness/a13.htm

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Of course the author will make tons of money with this "scandelous" book trying to defame Lincoln, and who's alive to stop him or even deny the allegations.... no one. Pathetic.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Yeah, I'd read somewhere, years ago, that Abe had a very close relationship with one guy in particular, and there was some speculation as to whether it was a friendship or a romance.

I'm confused, though. Why would Lincoln being gay "tarnish his image" or "defame" him?

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

What is even more confusing Insomniac is why every close relationship is made to appear sexual.

• shamus
    shamus

There's also plenty of interesting things happening on Jerry Springer.

You know, it doesn't even take a college education to become an author. I know several authors of books and they don't know shit.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Yes, Athanasius, I agree. It's silly to assume that any close friendship must involve sex; I guess some people just have sex on the brain.

However, if Lincoln was, in fact, gay, what the hell difference would it make? As I have said regarding Bill Clinton's relationship with Ms. Lewinsky, as long as he does his job well, I don't care what he does on his time off. The man's personal life is none of my concern.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Lincoln shared a room and a bed with his first law partner, John Stuart. Nobody thought much of it at the time. As I understand it, back then, people slept together to stay warm.

Does this mean that he enjoyed a little male loving with John Stuart? Who knows? Who cares?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Robdar's right that back then sharing a bed was not necessarily a sexual thing. I've seen this issue discussed on telly, and I agree with the assumption of the person who brought up the fact that Lincoln, hated as he was by his detractors back then, was never accused of homosexuality back then. She concluded that there was no truth to this modern rumour as a result.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit