Basketball got a black eye...

by Special K 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

Holy crow..This professional NBA Basketball game between the Detroit Pistons/Indiana Pacers sure got wild.

I wouldn't have wanted to have my kids their in the stands. Sheesh...

The big melee in Detroit was just sooooooooo..upsetting for a basketball fan like myself.

this fracas was as ugly as it gets.

Now, let me get into how the uprising began. After Artest fouled Wallace, with what seemed to be an average foul, with 45.9 seconds remaining in the game, Wallace gave Artest a two fisted shove and began approaching him as if to do some serious bodily harm. Artest, who was not the aggressor, at this point, was restrained and ended up on his back on top of the scorer?s table. This is when things got real ugly.

As Artest lay on the scorer?s table, some idiotic fan threw a cup of beer and ice on Artest, which sent the volatile swingman, into the stands seeking retaliation.

Anyway, the next thing you knew, Artest?s teammate, Stephen Jackson, was in the stands helping Artest lay the smackdown on some Pistons fans, as all hell broke loose around them. Another Detroit fan, who looked to be in the vicinity of, oh, 300 pounds, tried to sucker punch Artest, or Jackson, I?m not sure which, from behind. The next thing you know, Artest is on the court when another Pistons fan, who looked like he had way too many Budweiser?s, ran up to Artest in a threatening manner that only served to get him a right cross from Artest that glanced off of him without doing much damage. Then, as the unsuspecting fan rose to his feet, Jermaine O?Neal came from out of nowhere, to land the night?s most destructive punch, an overhand right that completely leveled the fan on his ample keester.
    As players from both teams eventually started making their way to the locker rooms, O?Neal was hit with a barrage of debris from the stands that almost started things anew.

Oh, and I got this report fromt the NBA site.

Special K

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I saw it and you actually have to put 99% of WHY the fight started on the fans. Artest had just had his faced pushed by Wallace. He turned and walked away - upset, but controlled and walked away. He goes over to the bench and is prone when a fan runs up and throws, cup and all a beer right on his chest/neck/face - Artest snaps and goes after him.

Then more fans and more players.

Time to put glass between the fans and players.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

What was it that Sir Charles said?

"If a fan attacks you, you are 100% right to go and smash his face in." or something like that.

It is a black eye for basketball, but it's not the first time something like this has happened. If they're not going to seperate the fans from the players, then maybe they'll have to stop selling "liquid courage" in the stands.

It will be interesting to see what happens the next time these two teams meet. The media doesn't allow people to forget these types of things and move on.

Kwin

• Special K
    Special K

That sure was one hell of a raucus..in Detroit.

The fans have no right to do that to the player. One basketball site seemed to think that basketball might become like hockey and a glass needs to be installed around the playing field(court).

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this one. I really don't think the players should be banned for playing all season..the fan input into this brawl needs to be considered or something.

The Basketball site says that 3 hours after the game all video tapes from the T.V. crews etc were taken so that the police could view all footage and proceed from there. I'll be listening to see how it all pans out.

thanks for your comments confused

Special K

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

One of the players involved in the brawl was interviewed in the Today Show this morning and the big idiot kind of laughed it all off and acted as though it was no big deal and nothing really big happened. Such an arrogant jerk! He's been to anger management sessions in the past. What a moron!!! He should be fired.

I'm sure the Players Union will do its best to stick up for the wrong doer, just as the unions do.

DY

• teejay
    teejay
    I saw it and you actually have to put 99% of WHY the fight started on the fans. Artest had just had his faced pushed by Wallace. He turned and walked away - upset, but controlled and walked away. He goes over to the bench and is prone when a fan runs up and throws, cup and all a beer right on his chest/neck/face - Artest snaps and goes after him.

Then more fans and more players.

Time to put glass between the fans and players.

I agree with everything you said.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I don't generally do sports satire, but this one was begging for it:

NBA, Artest Blames NHL for Pacers-Pistons Brawl
    NEW YORK, New York - Legal counsel for suspended Pacers' player Ron Artest announced Sunday his intention to seek an appeal of the season's suspension through the player's union. "We see the fault for Friday's fracas lying squarely at the feet of the NHL," explained Zephram Crocker, Artest's attorney, "Without hockey, players and fans alike lack an outlet for their bloodlust. Naturally, if they can't abuse guys on the ice, their attention will be drawn to guys on the court. By allowing the lockout to continue, the NHL is practically guaranteeing more violence in other venues. We don't think this mitigating factor was considered by Mr. Stern in handing down suspensions."

http://www.thebentinel.com/041122-nba-blames-nhl-for-fight.html

Dave

• Special K
    Special K

"

Without hockey, players and fans alike lack an outlet for their bloodlust. Naturally, if they can't abuse guys on the ice, their attention will be drawn to guys on the court.

Glad you posted that AA.

I laughed really hard at that reasoning. HAHAHAHAHHA

Special K

• teejay
    teejay

You've gotta be kidding me!

Edited to add:

I said elsewhere that I hoped Artest had a good lawyer. Well... that idea is apparently out the window. Oh well...

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

On the hockey note, there's been times when fans and players have matched punches before, but a season-ending suspension was never issued to the player. Why has the NBA made such harsh example of Artest when they are somewhat in neglect themselves for not taking the proper precautions to ensure something like this wouldn't happen?

Kwin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit