Great, jumpin' Locusts...

by Special K 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

I wonder if this is what Moses saw,if so, there are several more plagues to come..

Plague of locusts swarm Israel
    Swarms of locusts that earlier plagued Egypt brought their devastation on southern Israel on Sunday, devouring lawns and palm trees and causing panic among some children who wondered when the next biblical plague might strike.

The pests have worked their way north since crossing the border on Friday and are on a path that would take them to the West Bank town of Jericho, where U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell was slated to meet Palestinian officials today. The red locusts originated in West Africa and travelled over Libya and Egypt. The insects are present every year in Africa, but the UN Food and Agriculture Organization warned last week that this year's swarms are especially large due to prolonged periods of heavy rainfall.

Special K

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Well they should eat them. And they're Kosher to boot !

The last major invasion of African locusts 45 years ago ravaged crops in the Jewish state.

But some Israelis as well as labourers from Thailand, where locusts are a delicacy, made the best of the current outbreak by collecting the insects and taking them home for dinner.

"Delicious," said one Israeli man in Eilat, licking his lips after picking a locust off the ground and eating it raw. "They're a delicacy fit for a king."

A website in Eilat listed recipes for locusts including locust shish-kebab, locust chips (French fries) and stir-fried locusts. The recipes said it was essential to cook the insects while alive "as otherwise they become bitter".

The locust is the only type of insect that is kosher and permissible for religious Jews to eat under Jewish law.
  • minimus
    minimus

Bible prophecy being fulfilled after all!! See--it had nothing to do with the "anointed remnant" after all!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Locusts and honey....they could serve that on the menu and call it "The John the Baptist".

• Special K
    Special K

I wonder if roasted locusts dipped in chocolate would be nice.

SK

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

It must have been a slow news day. In very small print at the bottom it says, "This day in history - 3500 years ago today."

• Special K
    Special K

All kidding aside I'm sure this has a great impact on the community and production of food. It's the farmer that sufferers..and then dominoes up the human food chain.

About 5 years ago, the hay fields behind our property was hit by "army worms". They ate everything(stripped the field bare) and then moved on to the next field. Unfortunately, the fields bordered on the residential properties where I live and so the "Army worms"..just crawled over and consumed the entire lawns.

The farmer had absolutely no "hay" harvest that year and the next year either. It has taken some time for this land to become productive again.

Special K

• shotgun
    shotgun

Hmm..you never mentioned this before.

I suppose it was a traumatic event you would rather forget. The sight of all those Army worms with their little helmets on advancing on the unsuspecting lawns and gardens...oh the horror of suburban warfare.

• Special K
    Special K

Yes, Shotgun it was terrible.. We tried "gorilla warfare" to keep them at bay but all our gorillas were just too 'bananas' to get all their 'ducks' in a row.

the horror!

SK

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

My family in Northern Ontario told me about the army worms. I guess they go in a cycle of some sort showing up every 5 to 10 years, eating everything green in their path. In the fall they form cacoons, and the locals gather all the cacoons and burn them.

Kwin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit